Help: High pitch squeal from the rear hubs

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2008, 01:22 PM
Heple
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help: High pitch squeal from the rear hubs

Hi,

I have i a high pitch squeal coming from the rear hubs. At first i thought it was the brake pads had worn down but i checked these and they have loads on them, i noticed the rear discs were shot so i replaced these but the squeal is still there.

Could this be the rear wheel bearing?

Or

Can duff pads make this type of noise?

The car is a MY99 UK Turbo GC8

Thanks

Craig
Old 12 April 2008, 03:58 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

Does the squeal go if you dab the brakes lightly whilst driving along? If it does, then it's more than likely brake related (also try this gently with the left foot whilst maintaining power).

If it's still there then I guess you are looking at hub bearings or rear diff related wear.

What speeds does this occur at?
Old 12 April 2008, 05:49 PM
Heple
Scooby Regular

It only seems to start when i have been up to around 70mph. If i don't go on a dual carriageway or motorway i tend not to hear it but if i do go on them it will start, then continue whatever speed i am doing.

Pressing the brake does shut it up.

I may buy a set of new pads and see if it disappears as there considerably cheap than 2 new rear bearings. Although i have got a feeling its the bearings.

Craig

Last edited by Heple; 12 April 2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12 April 2008, 07:17 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

That sort of speed does make knacked wheel bearings show themselves more, especially over the din of an exhaust. Pressing the brake could just be masking the problem of bearings though.

Have you jacked the car up, supported it on an axle stand, and given the wheel a good wobble (12 and 6 o'clock position)? Any play at all is a no no and might be felt as a slight click.

I wouldn't really expect it to be pads either if the noise is more pronounced at speed.
Old 12 April 2008, 08:36 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say your handbrake mechanism is seized or sticking in some way. That's what mine was. It used to start up after a good long run on the motorway, say an hour. Presumably this kind of run got it gradually just hot enough to seize the handbrake shoes on against the drums but not let them just skim the drums as they should. A quick tug of the handbrake would fix it while driving and a rebuild of the handbrake mech fixed it for good. Not a fun job though.
Old 13 April 2008, 10:05 AM
Heple
Scooby Regular

Checked for movement in the wheel and it is solid, I thought about the handbrake and i've backed it fully off when i changed the discs but its still doing it.

I reckon its the bearings though, as Nick said pressing the brakes could mask the bearing noise as it would pull a knackered bearing more true in its assembly which would shut it up.

I'm just gonna change the pads as there relatively inexpensive then if the squeal rears its head again i will strip the hub down.

Thanks

Craig

Last edited by Heple; 13 April 2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 13 April 2008, 01:38 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

Keep us informed as to what you find.