Notices

Piston damage or head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2008, 06:48 PM
Pittys sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Piston damage or head gasket?

I've had two different mechanics look at my V7 JDM STI and they both suspect different faults. One thinks I've fried a piston and the other thinks it's probably only a head gasket.

The fault occured whilst driving hard in 6th gear. For some reason I lost Power and when I pulled over it was only running on what sounded like three cyliners. It didn't cut out at all or make any loud engine type noises and still managed too get me 2 miles home(slowly). It still starts and idles (on three cylinders) and hasn't lost any water or oil to speak of. The only patch of oil I can see is by the turbo.

If anyone could shed any light or input any opinions as to what might be or is most probable to be wrong, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for any replies.
Old 29 April 2008, 07:26 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Compression Test and a Cylinder Leak Down Test will pin point the exact
problem if it is an Internal fault with the engine.
Any fault codes stored in the ECU ??

Mick
Old 29 April 2008, 07:32 PM
Pittys sti
Scooby Regular

It has lost compression on cylinder 4 and a bit on 3 I've been told.

But would it run at all if the piston has gone? Or should I have clouds of smoke coming out the exhaust?
Old 29 April 2008, 08:09 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 384 Likes on 306 Posts

quite likely the piston has melted but still retains enough of the oil control ring to limit smoke.............

alyn
Old 29 April 2008, 08:52 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

I'm doubtfull the piston will have fried, the STi7 has forged pistons as standard, unless your runnig silly boost without mapping, pistons should be fine. Number three normally goes on other engines.

I'd say head gasket, when you say you've lost no water or oil, have you actually checked the water & oil levels? It normally goes between water way/oil way/bore & bore, not normally visable externally unless the car has been hydraulic'd.

Pressurise the coolant system, if it looses pressure, that would confirm my thoughts.

STi7's dont fry pistons
Old 29 April 2008, 10:02 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Northern Nick
I'm doubtfull the piston will have fried, the STi7 has forged pistons as standard, unless your runnig silly boost without mapping, pistons should be fine. Number three normally goes on other engines.

I'd say head gasket, when you say you've lost no water or oil, have you actually checked the water & oil levels? It normally goes between water way/oil way/bore & bore, not normally visable externally unless the car has been hydraulic'd.

Pressurise the coolant system, if it looses pressure, that would confirm my thoughts.

STi7's dont fry pistons
Forged pistons are not indestructable. They melt almost as easily as cast ones. Any piston can melt....just because one cylinder may be more common that others, doesnt mean it doesnt happen to others.

Either way, its engine out time for a proper inspection, rather than speculation.
Old 29 April 2008, 10:07 PM
Pittys sti
Scooby Regular

STi7's dont fry pistons
I hope you're right! Thanks for the input. I'll have some one check what you've just said.

I'm holding on to that glimmer of hope that my £1k budget can save the scoob!
Old 29 April 2008, 10:11 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

Forged pistons are not indestructable. They melt almost as easily as cast ones. Any piston can melt....just because one cylinder may be more common that others, doesnt mean it doesnt happen to others.

Either way, its engine out time for a proper inspection, rather than speculation.
If its the piston, the coolant wont loose pressure, thats a good starting point, takes 10 minutes to do and will give a good indication as to what the problem is.

Forged pistons do melt but not a readily as normal cast piston otherwise you would fit forged pistons when building a bullet proof engine, you'd just stick standard pot cast jobbies in.

Diagnostics of the engine will decide whether he will sell, or repair. I'm only trying to help, cheap first is the obvious thing to start with imo, not, "ah just pull the engine and wrip it apart, thats the only way to see what wrong with it"
Old 30 April 2008, 07:58 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

STi7's dont fry pistons

that'll be why there are quite a few "warranty" blocks doing the rounds with piston/bore damage??

we see quite a few failures of the STi hyperpeutic (spelling??) pistons - n0.3 not generally being the most common

best advice is as above and get it checked correctly before starting to pull it to bits

alyn
Old 30 April 2008, 12:27 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

The EJ207 had forged pistons up through v7. Since that time Subaru switched over to hypereutectic, version 8 onwards meaning version 7 had proper forged piston fitted from what I know.

Last edited by Northern Nick; 30 April 2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 30 April 2008, 01:04 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The EJ207 had forged pistons up through v7. Since that time Subaru switched over to hypereutectic, version 8 onwards meaning version 7 had proper forged piston fitted from what I know.

there is another thread discussing this and Zen confirmed that the STi8 uk has forged pistons.
Old 30 April 2008, 05:12 PM
Pittys sti
Scooby Regular

What other things could cause a car to loose pressure on one cylinder? Are there many possibilties?
Old 30 April 2008, 05:17 PM
Scooby Regular

Head gasket, Piston damage, or valve/seat damage.

Any mechanic with half a wit, should be able to make a proper diagnosis fairly quickly after hearing it running ( or cranking over if it wont start ), and doing a compression/leakdown test, as well as a quick look at the plugs.

If they cant, take it elsewhere.
Old 30 April 2008, 05:36 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

The last car we did that displayed your symptoms had burned out an exhaust valve.

As has been said, carry out a cylinder leak test, as this will tell you exactly where the problem is before you decide wot to do next.

Phil
Old 30 April 2008, 05:46 PM
Pittys sti
Scooby Regular

I've got to say I'm glad I posted this. I thought the scoob was doomed and you've all given me plenty to get checked out. Any more suggestions are welcomed. Thanks all.
Old 30 April 2008, 06:12 PM
big-kev
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pittys sti
I've got to say I'm glad I posted this. I thought the scoob was doomed and you've all given me plenty to get checked out. Any more suggestions are welcomed. Thanks all.
m8 i have a version 3 sti which runs very lumpy on idel ( you would think there was a piston gone ) but the car has been runing like this for about 6mths . Got all the usual checks done and every think came back ok !!! so i had a simtek ecu fitted a few weeks back as i was told to get the fault tuned out of the car , but when the mapper was tune,in it he said there was a leak between cyclinder 1 & 2 so he has now to split the engine to find out whats causing this he thinks it maybe a cracked head gasket so do,nt worry to much m8 incase its something as minor as that
P.S my car was not using oil or water and comprision tesk 100% ok
Old 30 April 2008, 07:16 PM
Pittys sti
Scooby Regular

Thanks m8. There might be some hope left then. However, mine idles but won't rev past 3.5k really. I gotta grand in reserve to sort it. If that doesn't just about cover the problem then it's gonna have to go. I hope mine is a head gasket!
Old 30 April 2008, 07:39 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Take a search for JamesVTS and his tale of misery...

WRX in this case, but it's eaten a piston.

Sorry doesn't look good.

DunxC
Old 30 April 2008, 09:08 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jd5217
there is another thread discussing this and Zen confirmed that the STi8 uk has forged pistons.
Forgot to add that it has been said that some/all STi8 "Type UK" have forged piston fitted, cheers mate.
Old 01 May 2008, 07:56 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

regardless of factroy "forged" or later hyperpeutic pistons they fail just the same (albeit maybe slightly higher) as std ones, we re-build quite a few of these

alyn
Old 01 May 2008, 06:22 PM
JamesVTS
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...lp-my-wrx.html

take a look at that, tried many things, sounds like same issues youre having, sorry mate

I got a new engine in the post
Old 01 May 2008, 07:42 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JamesVTS
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...lp-my-wrx.html

take a look at that, tried many things, sounds like same issues youre having, sorry mate

I got a new engine in the post
Except listening to sense, and removing the pistons to inspect them when you had it apart.