Notices

Whats causing my idle problems....

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2008, 02:03 PM
TimDogg
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats causing my idle problems....

Hi everyone,

Been reading the boards for a bit so thought id join up, especially as my car has developed some issues!

The car is a 1995 JDM STi wagon, and i have had it for about a year now with relatively few issues.

Recently however the car was sat up in a garage for a while, and during this time the battery went dead. The car started up ok after a charger was applied, but there have been a few issues.

Before the car was garaged i noticed the high gear power had started to drop away, i.e at around 3.5k revs plus in 4th and 5th gear. However there is no clutch slip so I planned to clean the boost solenoid but didnt get around to it before the layup.

Since the layup the car has:

1) Developed an uneven idle (sometimes, other times its fine) - searching between 500 - 1500 revs.

2) Lost more power in the higher gears.

3) developed a pulsing electrical system - the lights on the dash pulse. Now i have had this on another car so i thought this might be the alternator. However its also intermittent and the battery charge is 12.7 engine off, and around 13.8-14 when running.

4) The previously inoperable turbo timer now works. Magic!

So far i have tried...

Unplugging the MAF when engine is running - engine cuts out - going to clean it anyway tomorrow.
I have looked at the IACV, and noticed that there is only a single screw holding it on when it should be two. However its very inaccessible so i havent had chance to have a proper look.

I am going to clean the boost solenoid, but have a question! A manual boost controller is fitted to the car, does this meaning cleaning the BCS is redundant or is it still worth doing?
It has been suggested to me that the ECU was reset as a result of the battery going dead, would this in conjunction with the MAF or IACV being a bit dodgy contribute to the symptoms above?

Sorry for the long post, hope someone can help (or find the will to read through it all!)

Tim