Engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2008, 05:51 PM
johnwrx
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rebuild

Hello to all

I think the 2° piston is gone, because i've always misfire on that cylinder and i need 1 kg oil every 800-1000 km.
Now,i was thinking if i must change something on my engine is better to put something good but not to exspensive and here comes my problems.

I have a WRX 2001 bugeye with complete exhaust system (uppipe inclusive)
filter greddy in the basket, big topmount and stg2 via openecu.

i don't know what to do or choose:
rebuild mine with:
Piston JE
Conrods K1
support in metal for the engine
or
Pistons wiseco
Conrods Manley
or
Pistona Ross
Conrods Eagle

Or a complete shortblock Ej22 closed deck with wiseco and eagle, bigger oil pump and oil can.
Or a complete shortblock Ej25 semiclosed with wiseco,eagle.

What i do?

I've ready on my table a VF35, injectors 565 STI and a Walbro fuel pump to install.

Thank You all for help and sorry for the long post.
Old 15 June 2008, 09:25 AM
BlooSooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mate, I had the same dilemma. I could have had it rebuilt standard for about $5k (£2400), or a 2.2 stroker rebuild with bigger injectors and VF34 turbo for about $8k (£3800) or a brand new EJ25T short block (semi-closed) with AP forged coated pistons, Eagle rods, Deatschworks 750cc injectors, polished and ported heads, Walbro fuel pump and AVO 450s 'Edge' series turbo (including Dyno run-in and Ecutek remap) for around $11k (£5100).

My Bugeye already has a 3" catback exhaust, cat-less up-pipe, larger TMIC and cold air induction on it.

I chose the new EJ25T route in the end as I'll get more bang for my buck and will end up with a much stronger unit for a little extra cash. I'll be looking at around 250kW atw (340 bhp) when I get it back next week whereas a stroker kit would be maxed at around 200kW with a VF34. Also, Subaru are currently doing EJ25T short blocks for $2800 - bargain! And I'll have a new set of STi pistons and rods left over to stick on Ebay.....as well as my TD04.

At the end of the day you can spend 70% of the money and have a car that's quite quick or just go for it and have something a bit special that will leave pretty much anything in it's wake. Also, I want the car to be driveable, have decent lowdown torque and not suffer too much lag. If I want 300kw atw in the future, all I need to do is upgrade the turbo but I doubt I'll tolerate the laggy motor for too long....

The downside to the 2.5 conversion is that I'll probably be looking for an uprated transmission in 6 months or so (another $8k) but at least that will be sufficient to withstand the caning that the engine will dish out
Old 15 June 2008, 11:06 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BlooSooby
Mate, I had the same dilemma. I could have had it rebuilt standard for about $5k (£2400), or a 2.2 stroker rebuild with bigger injectors and VF34 turbo for about $8k (£3800) or a brand new EJ25T short block (semi-closed) with AP forged coated pistons, Eagle rods, Deatschworks 750cc injectors, polished and ported heads, Walbro fuel pump and AVO 450s 'Edge' series turbo (including Dyno run-in and Ecutek remap) for around $11k (£5100).

My Bugeye already has a 3" catback exhaust, cat-less up-pipe, larger TMIC and cold air induction on it.

I chose the new EJ25T route in the end as I'll get more bang for my buck and will end up with a much stronger unit for a little extra cash. I'll be looking at around 250kW atw (340 bhp) when I get it back next week whereas a stroker kit would be maxed at around 200kW with a VF34. Also, Subaru are currently doing EJ25T short blocks for $2800 - bargain! And I'll have a new set of STi pistons and rods left over to stick on Ebay.....as well as my TD04.

At the end of the day you can spend 70% of the money and have a car that's quite quick or just go for it and have something a bit special that will leave pretty much anything in it's wake. Also, I want the car to be driveable, have decent lowdown torque and not suffer too much lag. If I want 300kw atw in the future, all I need to do is upgrade the turbo but I doubt I'll tolerate the laggy motor for too long....

The downside to the 2.5 conversion is that I'll probably be looking for an uprated transmission in 6 months or so (another $8k) but at least that will be sufficient to withstand the caning that the engine will dish out
well put there .....I second what Blooscooby said