Notices

Openport Guru's

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2008, 09:37 PM
Dodge charger
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Openport Guru's

Hi all,I have been experimenting with remapping my MY1998 JDM WRX 2.5 litre conversion done by myself, a power fc ecu, commander, laptop, innovate lc1 and afr meter.My results so far are very good the car pulls well 2 years 15000 miles still going
I have now got myself a hawkeye sti as well and I am going to mildly map this car I.e slightly increase boost pressure and fuelling at mid to full throttle and load,not too much as I do not want to kill it.My question to all those in the know and those not is there anywhere in the uk I can get a openport 1.3u OBD II lead as I really don,t want to get it from the states.

tURbO 2
Old 13 June 2008, 12:29 AM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I think mocom sell them, but I had no problems buying one from the states and the exchange rate is good at the moment.
Old 13 June 2008, 10:28 AM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Mocom do sell them.

I have now got myself a hawkeye sti as well and I am going to mildly map this car I.e slightly increase boost pressure and fuelling at mid to full throttle and load,not too much as I do not want to kill it.
You should be able to run 1.5bar max boost safely on a hawkeye. I don't think you wanting to be adding more fuel, the stock maps are already very rich. Generally there would be more power to be made by leaning the map out slightly. As with any mapping, I would advise you to monitor AFR's and EGT's to make sure the changes you are making are safe.
Old 13 June 2008, 09:22 PM
KenS55STI
Scooby Regular

Got mine from the tactrix website, no problems. They usually post them within one working day of ordering.
Old 13 June 2008, 10:19 PM
Dodge charger
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the info guys
I will try mocom, if they can't help me then it will have to be tactrix.
Not a lot of info on scoobynet about openport tuning,me thinks a tuning thread is due after lead arrives
Old 15 June 2008, 04:52 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

It appears that self mapping is more common in the states, but I followed the ppp mechanical side and just flashed the map on my ecu and have had no issues at all, I managed to get the parts 2nd hand and flash the ecu for a little over £200 which then left me with a good cheap stage 1 mod. I have been very happy with it.
Old 16 June 2008, 08:08 PM
Dodge charger
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by daz1968
It appears that self mapping is more common in the states, but I followed the ppp mechanical side and just flashed the map on my ecu and have had no issues at all, I managed to get the parts 2nd hand and flash the ecu for a little over £200 which then left me with a good cheap stage 1 mod. I have been very happy with it.
Flashing the ecu should be no probs.At work we are constantly updating (flashing)the ecu's on our cars with no serious issues.We do get the odd bad flash but very rarely.
Stage 1 is where I want my hawkeye about 320bhp will do. The 2.5 should be able to handle that power even with the glass pistons

tURbO 2
Old 18 June 2008, 12:27 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got mine from the states and arrived within a week. Mapping on the 06 STi is great and it responds very well to changes but it does do some strange stuff ocassionally.

I wouldnt go so far as 1.5 bar on the map though to start with, work you way up to it. 1.27 bar would be fine and as said monitor it with delta dash and also monitor afr with a wideband.

You will have fun
Old 18 June 2008, 12:29 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

ps - be very very careful when re-flashing. Always read the notices on the screen from ECUflash and make sure no-one opens the doors or uses other electrical items in the car while you are doing it. It can flip out the ecu write process and fry the ecu (voice of experience ).
Old 18 June 2008, 07:52 PM
Dodge charger
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by dynamix
Got mine from the states and arrived within a week. Mapping on the 06 STi is great and it responds very well to changes but it does do some strange stuff ocassionally.
Dynamix what strange things have you noticed with your STi, Was it before or after mapping?
Old 18 June 2008, 08:16 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Far too many to mention but even as std they use the knock retardation quite heavily at cruise to try and optimise emissions and every now and again they will take 5 degrees of timing out for absolutely no reason whatsoever making you think they have a huge problem with det.

This never shows up on sep knock sensors nor det cans.