Notices

wrx upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2008, 03:38 PM
jame5evan5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrx upgrades

what can i get done to my 2001 wrx to make it more powerful and faster..i dont no much about these cars so any help wud be nice thanks..also my engine light is on code p0172..running rich..cud my leaking dump valve cause this..also wen the car is ticking over it drops to 0 rpm..then shoots back up to just under 1000rpm..and wen i pull away it kangaroos sum times..cud any 1 help me please n tell me wot cud be the cause thanks
Old 14 June 2008, 04:50 PM
jame5evan5
Scooby Regular

please any help from any 1..?
Old 14 June 2008, 04:57 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

hi, does your car have an aftermarket dumpvalve? if it does i suggest refitting the standard one for starters.especialy if its leaking. this could be why your running rich and having trouble with idle revs.

as for more power,a full decat exhaust along with a remap will increase the power of your car,for example...

ive just had my 2001 wrx bugeye remapped after fitting a decat downpipe,decat 2nd pipe deresonated centre section and tsl group N backbox and its gone from a standard 215bhp upto 270bhp

Last edited by powerwrx; 14 June 2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 14 June 2008, 06:27 PM
jame5evan5
Scooby Regular

thankyou..it has a forge dump valve on now..im replacing it on monday with a brand new bailys 1 which i paid £120..do u think the car will run a little better...how much did u pay for a remap..wot is a remap to wot does it involve?
Old 14 June 2008, 06:55 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

to be honnest mate, your forge is better than a bailey but ide stick to a standard one (in my opinion)..dump valves can give cars running problems,ie juddering,and idle issues...i had the same issues on my classic when i fitted a bailey valve.

my car has had an ecutek remap which costs around £550 which involves replacing your cars origional ecu map with a more uprated version to suit your cars modifications.

take a look on here mate, this is who i used to map mine.

www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk
Old 14 June 2008, 07:08 PM
jame5evan5
Scooby Regular

thanks for yor help m8....the bloke at my local subaru garage sed tht the was sumthing a matter with the springs or sumthing on the dump valve i hav on now..im not sure wot he ment..told me to change it..do uthink by putting a brand new dump valve on will make a little better....also wot is a standard 1 n wer cud i get 1..sorry for been a pain...im a newbie
Old 14 June 2008, 07:15 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

your new one will get rid of the leak and you may be lucky enough to have no other issues but ide be prepared...ide say that you would still get some possable juddering (as i did) aswell as the idle issue..but like i said you may get lucky.

a standard valve will look more or less the same as your forge/bailey..and blot onto the intercooler the same.you will be able to pick one up on ebay for not very much money or its probably worth while puting a post up in the wanted section on here..im sure someone will have one spare.

just make sure you get the right one for your car

having said all this though mate,dont let me put you off having an aftermarket dump vale,thats your choise, i just hope ive helped by giving you an idea about them
Old 14 June 2008, 07:32 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

stay away from dump valves unless your running the power where they are required. The subaru engines are rather delecate and havem a re-circulating dump valve for reason, the engine requires some of the air to run efficiently and right. Slapping an a/m dv on will also lead to maf problems later on if your cars induction is not correct, and this is VERY expensive.

I didnt want an DV on mine at all but im running over 400bhp so the pressure created means its required to expell the air, and it has been remapped to accept this whereas your car will still be on standard map settings and will require the air it is loosing through your dv.

Hope this helps and hope you make the right choice pal.

Good luck
Old 14 June 2008, 08:13 PM
jame5evan5
Scooby Regular

thanks for your help
Old 14 June 2008, 08:22 PM
jame5evan5
Scooby Regular

wud u b able te find a 1 on ebay please and post the link in this forum thanx
Old 14 June 2008, 08:22 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by h4rry
stay away from dump valves unless your running the power where they are required. The subaru engines are rather delecate and havem a re-circulating dump valve for reason, the engine requires some of the air to run efficiently and right. Slapping an a/m dv on will also lead to maf problems later on if your cars induction is not correct, and this is VERY expensive.

I didnt want an DV on mine at all but im running over 400bhp so the pressure created means its required to expell the air, and it has been remapped to accept this whereas your car will still be on standard map settings and will require the air it is loosing through your dv.

Hope this helps and hope you make the right choice pal.

Good luck
Sorry to be pedantic, but according to this https://www.scoobynet.com/scooby.php?profileid=1874 you're not even running 400, never mind over. Unless you've had something done since that was written though.

What do you mean by a/m dump valve? Atmospheric? VentToAtmosphere
Old 14 June 2008, 08:51 PM
C. J.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jame5evan5
what can i get done to my 2001 wrx to make it more powerful and faster..
Well you can have a look at mine !
Same car as yours now pushing 361 bhp on standard internals
Old 14 June 2008, 10:53 PM
jame5evan5
Scooby Regular

wot exactly did u get done to make it up to 361bhp...also ive just put sum redex in my fuel tank will this help it run a bit better
Old 15 June 2008, 06:48 AM
jame5evan5
Scooby Regular

please help..wen i put my foot down ther doesnt seem te be much power ther cud my leaking dump valve be causen this has getn worse over the past cupla a days..im putting my new dump valve on monday will this solve the problem...or cud sumthnels of gon wrong
Old 15 June 2008, 12:00 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

please help..wen i put my foot down ther doesnt seem te be much power ther cud my leaking dump valve be causen this has getn worse over the past cupla a days..im putting my new dump valve on monday will this solve the problem...or cud sumthnels of gon wrong

havnt we already answered this question

change the dump valve to a standard one,and take it from there. if there is no change when you replace it then you know its not that. then its up to you if you put your bailey one on..ide get your car sorted though before you put another aftermarket valve on.

just found this one but it has a collar missing on ebay Subaru Impreza (Bugeye) WRX OEM Dump Valve on eBay, also, Subaru, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 16-Jun-08 00:25:47 BST)

Or you could give these a call Welcome Page they will have one im sure.

or put a post in the wanted section as i said

Last edited by powerwrx; 15 June 2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 15 June 2008, 12:30 PM
C. J.
Scooby Regular

wot exactly did u get done to make it up to 361bhp...also ive just put sum redex in my fuel tank will this help it run a bit better
Click on view my scooby
Old 15 June 2008, 12:34 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C. J.
Click on view my scooby
nice car,and top spec mate curious about the homemade bits??
Old 15 June 2008, 01:17 PM
C. J.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerwrx
nice car,and top spec mate curious about the homemade bits??
if your going to mc rae gathering can show there
Lets just say some parts are moddified from cars such as r33 parts!
Old 15 June 2008, 01:19 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

ahh i see, well im trying my best to get to the mcrae gathering so ill take alook at your motor then
Old 15 June 2008, 01:21 PM
C. J.
Scooby Regular

should be more power on tuesday as its being remapped for the new turbo , front mount , ic spray which is boost activated plus some more home mods
Old 15 June 2008, 01:32 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C. J.
should be more power on tuesday as its being remapped for the new turbo , front mount , ic spray which is boost activated plus some more home mods
nice..i feel a little demo run coming on in your car
Old 15 June 2008, 04:49 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

MickyWrx,

Just to answer your question, if you read my profile it says it ran 393/378 immediatly after being fully remapped. The engine was not fully run in at this point and all parts had not bedded together and i was advised to do another 2000 miles before really giving the car some stick. SInce then i have ran it in a fully serviced the vehicle and had it on the rolling road again where it achieved 414/389. Sorry i have not updated my profile, i will do that now.

And a/m means aftermarket, i was fed up of writing it.

James,

I would seriously advise not to use redex as this stuff cleans all internal engine parts. Now whilst this may sound good it actually isnt great on older cars especially as it will clean all your pistons, values etc and expose any problems, cracks, leaks in your engine internals.

I would seriously advise taking your car to an expert and asking for their adivce pal rather than trying to find the fault yourself. SOunds like it needs a good looking at.

Good luck.

Stu
Old 15 June 2008, 05:05 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

what can i get done to my 2001 wrx to make it more powerful and faster..i dont no much about these cars so any help wud be nice thanks..also my engine light is on code p0172..running rich..cud my leaking dump valve cause this..also wen the car is ticking over it drops to 0 rpm..then shoots back up to just under 1000rpm..and wen i pull away it kangaroos sum times..cud any 1 help me please n tell me wot cud be the cause thanks

View my scoob for 1 or 2 mods, 02 WRX should be pushing 440BHP soon after mapping.
Old 15 June 2008, 08:06 PM
C. J.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
View my scoob for 1 or 2 mods, 02 WRX should be pushing 440BHP soon after mapping.
Nice car and power but not much of the original left !
Must of cost a bucket load
Old 17 June 2008, 12:27 PM
jame5evan5
Scooby Regular

well ive just put my new bailys dump valve on my wrx...and its running perfect its ticking over perfect pullen away perfect...wen i change gear u get a little tssshhhh..no wer near as loud as my forge..infact its very quite...thanks every 1 for yor help and suport
Old 17 June 2008, 03:21 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

well ive just put my new bailys dump valve on my wrx...and its running perfect its ticking over perfect pullen away perfect...wen i change gear u get a little tssshhhh..no wer near as loud as my forge..infact its very quite...thanks every 1 for yor help and suport
excellent mate,glad it was nothing major..hope your car stays that way for you, if you do get the judder back and the irratic idle then fit a standard dump vale
Old 17 June 2008, 08:44 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by h4rry
MickyWrx,

Just to answer your question, if you read my profile it says it ran 393/378 immediatly after being fully remapped. The engine was not fully run in at this point and all parts had not bedded together and i was advised to do another 2000 miles before really giving the car some stick. SInce then i have ran it in a fully serviced the vehicle and had it on the rolling road again where it achieved 414/389. Sorry i have not updated my profile, i will do that now.

And a/m means aftermarket, i was fed up of writing it.

Stu
Nice one