Notices

Fuel Pump Probs! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2008, 07:02 PM
chris78**
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Probs! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Hi There,
I have a 2004STI and 4 months ago bought a Walbro fuel pump off ebay and had it mapped to 340bhp.

A month ago the pump died and i just though that it was an ebay bag of poo pump.

So refitted the standard pump and drove it off boost.

Then i bought another walbro 255 pump from a proper company, This one lasted just 20mins and packed up

The standard pump is now back on and running well.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Snap on fault code reads primary fuel pump circuit every time they pack up.

Thanks

Chris
Old 23 June 2008, 11:02 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

Sorry mate can't help but I'm now a bit worried as I'm having a Walbro 255lph pump (off eBay, but only been fitted by the previous owner for an alleged 40 miles worth of use) fitted at Zen's this Friday 27th! So I join in your cause...

Can anyone out there let us know if this is a 'common' problem with these pumps and enlighten us?!?!
Old 23 June 2008, 11:38 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

faulty fuel pressure regulator maybe??? overworking the pump ???
Old 23 June 2008, 11:47 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

hi, my fuel pump packed up ages ago, (standard one on a 96 classic), but back then thought it was the immobiliser not letting it cut in, so ran a wire from the fuel pump to my headunit, and worked for a few months perfectly, then only 3 or so weeks ago it went again, so took it out, bought a walboro one but from scoobyparts.com as i only live down the road from it, and its bin fine ever since....touch wood! worked straight away when fitted the walboro, even took my wiring out and it worked perfect, so it must of been the standard fuel pump that was buggered, not the immobiliser. but ive had no problems on mine mate, u sure the walboro pump has walboro stamped on it? as when i bought mine it came in an FSE box, n i was quite rude to the bloke actually sayin i wanted a walboro one, but he said most new ones come in that box, and showed me the official walboro manufacture stamp on the pump, included the made in canada sign aswell which set me at ease. no problems so far though mate. could it be the wiring from the fuel pump? have u tried taking the pumps out, running them off a seperate voltage with some petrol and seeing if they run properly? dont know if they can be took apart to check if the seals have seized or anything. so may jus be an electrical fault mate?

ash
Old 24 June 2008, 09:37 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Question

ash, would it be possible to post a pic of the pump showing logos, spec, etc. stamped on the Walbro pump... Or failing that, simply write it down in a post. Whilst my pump is not fitted yet, I can double-check to see if it's the pukka item.

Cheers, John.
Old 24 June 2008, 02:00 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

cor would be a job mate as its fitted to the car....but basically its like an etched stamp saying Walboro on it, cant remember if its jus a W, or it says the whole word. it will be very small (the pump i mean) with a little filter on it, should come with a new little rubber seat for it to fit in, i didnt use that. and any extra wiring or clips/connections/fuses etc are provided. taking some pics now of the box and what the fuel pump kind of looks like, as soon as the pics reach my email account, lol will put them on in next post

Ash
Old 24 June 2008, 02:12 PM
chris78**
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maydew
faulty fuel pressure regulator maybe??? overworking the pump ???

Possible but the Standard pump seem to cope with it no problem.

Mine came in an FSE box but the pump has Walbro on it so i would of thought it was genuine.

This is doing my head in now!

Can runs sweet with the standard pump but i just can't use it's full potential
Old 24 June 2008, 02:18 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

the fuel pump i got is the same as the one shown on the right, this is the box it came in from the shop mate, havent received the other pic yet so cant post it

Ash
Old 24 June 2008, 02:19 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris78**
Possible but the Standard pump seem to cope with it no problem.

Mine came in an FSE box but the pump has Walbro on it so i would of thought it was genuine.

This is doing my head in now!

Can runs sweet with the standard pump but i just can't use it's full potential
yeah me too that box mate ^^^^^^^^
Old 24 June 2008, 04:46 PM
chris78**
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ash002004
yeah me too that box mate ^^^^^^^^
Yep the very same
Old 24 June 2008, 04:59 PM
apalmer
Scooby Regular

My Walbro also came in an FSE box, it was bought from indigogt.com

There is a number embossed onto the pump can't remeber what it was, LOL on pictures, quite an **** to get the pump back out for that. Although make sure that you if you have to splice wires you don't use an electrical tape to seal the connections. Otherwise you will have to get the pump back out!!! Don't want an electrical short in the tank once the tape disolves!!!!!

get yourself some fuel resistant heatshrink rubber
Old 24 June 2008, 06:18 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Well, it would appear that I do have a genuine Walbro ...

The text at the end of the middle line reads 'MADE IN USA' - is that correct?...

I'm a bit concerned... The 'tea-bag' filter has what appears to be numerous, small broken 'diamond'-shaped bits of white plastic! (you can just make it out in the photo) - is this normal? ...

Cheers, John.

P.S. My apologies chris78**, I've somewhat unwittingly hijacked your thread,,, Other posters, please see post #1 to see if you can answer the OP's urgent question...

Last edited by joz8968; 24 June 2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 24 June 2008, 10:43 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

yep thats the same as mine...dunno about the white bits though, sick of the sight of fuel pumps and cant be arsed to get it back out, lol
Old 24 June 2008, 11:18 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ash002004
yep thats the same as mine...dunno about the white bits though, sick of the sight of fuel pumps and cant be arsed to get it back out, lol
LOL, obviously I don't mean for you to remove the pump! I just wondered if you could remember about those random white bits, prior to when it was fitted, that's all... Which you've already answered!

Cheers, John.

Last edited by joz8968; 24 June 2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old 24 June 2008, 11:59 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

oh sorry, lol. gad the thought in my head u had taken urs out. didnt notice any before i fitted it, actually to be honest i didnt really look! although i have noticed something strange, every now and then my car, for like a millionth of a seconds kind of like...i cant really explain it, it kind of stutters if u know what i mean, and u can tell its the fuel...i dont know. ud have to really be concentrating to notice it as its so un-noticeable. havent thought anything of it, hasnt had any problems, but have noticed that since fitting, maybe as its uprated the ecu is still getting used to it? as i know the ecu will only pump as much as its been told to do so for a standard engine point of view if u iknow what i mean.
Old 25 June 2008, 12:29 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Yeah, it could be the ECU being a little confused with the different fuel flow I suppose. This shouldn't be a worry for me (aside from the actual pump working correctly in the first place!), as in about 2 months from it being fitted, I'll be getting JGM Simon to fit and map an Apexi Power FC (along with other tuning goodies ), so the pump's flow characteristics will be taken into account by the fuel map... and hopefully run as smooth as something very smooth indeed ...

Last edited by joz8968; 25 June 2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 25 June 2008, 12:35 AM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

sounds good mate let us know how it gets on
Old 25 June 2008, 07:16 AM
nez-wrx
Scooby Regular

had my walbro fitted for about 14 months now touch wood all ok slightly more noisy but not an issue
Old 25 June 2008, 09:47 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by nez-wrx
had my walbro fitted for about 14 months now touch wood all ok slightly more noisy but not an issue

Has your engine been running fine, no problems, etc.? Is it running in conjunction with your standard non-mappable ECU, etc...?

EDIT: That's quite weird... Just checked your 'View My Scooby' and your power is 249.3bhp. Had my old, std. engine dyno'd about a year ago and it made an alleged 249.5 on the day! Bizarre.

Last edited by joz8968; 25 June 2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 26 June 2008, 02:54 PM
Giddy
Scooby Regular

If it came in a FSE box it would be genuine Walbro for sure. It seems very unusual for 2 pumps to pack up like that Chris. I had always had the idea that were pretty reliable? I had to fit a new regulator not long after fitting my Walbro as it was running rich and hunting (new reg sorted it) but i wouldnt have thought that this would kill a pump in 20 mins?

Last edited by Giddy; 26 June 2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 26 June 2008, 06:47 PM
nez-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Has your engine been running fine, no problems, etc.? Is it running in conjunction with your standard non-mappable ECU, etc...?

EDIT: That's quite weird... Just checked your 'View My Scooby' and your power is 249.3bhp. Had my old, std. engine dyno'd about a year ago and it made an alleged 249.5 on the day! Bizarre.
lol thats rate weird lol. reason i fitted the pump was because - my car broke down and being stripped out i can always here the fuel pump, i turned ignition on after broken down and could not here pump, i had a new walbro at home but not fitted so i towed scoob home and fitted it, no joy so i then carried out tests on the wiring and relay etc etc and found there was a breaki in the wiring under the car, reluctant to take everything off from underneath i rewired the circuit myself with a seperate switch, relay and fuse.
result - car has never once missed a beat in the slightest and has performed perfectly on standard ecu
maybe its the same fault on yours tricking you into thinking its the pump each time
have you bench tested the suspect failed pumps or tried them on another scoob ???
Old 26 June 2008, 10:06 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nez-wrx
lol thats rate weird lol. reason i fitted the pump was because - my car broke down and being stripped out i can always here the fuel pump, i turned ignition on after broken down and could not here pump, i had a new walbro at home but not fitted so i towed scoob home and fitted it, no joy so i then carried out tests on the wiring and relay etc etc and found there was a breaki in the wiring under the car, reluctant to take everything off from underneath i rewired the circuit myself with a seperate switch, relay and fuse.
result - car has never once missed a beat in the slightest and has performed perfectly on standard ecu
maybe its the same fault on yours tricking you into thinking its the pump each time
have you bench tested the suspect failed pumps or tried them on another scoob ???

thats like the first problem i had which i wrote near the start of the post, i wired mine fused to the headunit, and it worked. but was actually the pump in the end, but iv heard that the wiring sometimes are buggers for getting you to think its the fuel pump, not the wiring. maybe a fault in ur immobliser to?!?!?
Old 27 June 2008, 05:31 PM
nez-wrx
Scooby Regular

mine has not got an immobiliser on at moment i went down that route lol mine was a break in the wire for absolute sure
Old 30 June 2008, 01:30 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Question

Well, got pump fitted at Zen's on Fri 27th and it's all thumbs up (so far). No hesitation or anything like that, but prob fuel consumption will no doubt be a bit worse?...

Indeed, can anyone confirm if that's happened to them i.e. noticably worse consumption with the Walbro fitted, under normal mixed driving conditions (obviously before any subsequent mapping)?

Cheers, John.
Old 30 June 2008, 03:02 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

my consumption had stayed the same mate... howwver my car is standard so no matter what pump, uprated or not is on there, it will only pump as much as my standard ecu allows it to. but na no change in the petrol. runs alot better i think

ash
Old 30 June 2008, 03:08 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers ash, that's good to know! Anyway, I'll soon know how it's fairing when I let the fuel tank get near empty - I'll work out the mpg and compare...

BTW, those funny white bits in the 'teabag' was the gauze cradle thingy (holds the bag open) - it had broken up into many pieces! It was okay though as, luckily, Zen had replacement teabags in stock... both types, lol! Good lads... and two great cuppas also, double lol!
Old 30 June 2008, 03:11 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

lol i live down th road from that place and havent used them yet. took some driving about to find their unit tho. need to get them to service my classic unless i sell it! want a newage
Old 30 June 2008, 03:17 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Wink

If they're near to you then I'd DEFINITELY use them. I travel c.50 miles on the M1/A14/A509 to get to them!

I've had nothing but fantastic service/advice, etc. I've not had to go back to them for any work that's been done incorrectly, etc... and that included a new engine transplant. They really know their stuff... A competent bunch o' guys and friendly too.
Old 30 June 2008, 03:22 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

and i hear they make a nice cuppa, lol. when i get a newage ill be using them for alot of work regularly. may even treat myself to a remap corr lol
Old 30 June 2008, 03:28 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Talking

They really DO make a fantastic cup of tea ! I am in my element when down there, having work done! Cannot be without me teastuffs...

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Probs! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!