Notices

my first ever scooby!!

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2008, 03:24 PM
first ever scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my first ever scooby!!

hi all. i have written quite a lot about me and my experience with my first scooby. please feel free to have a look at my profile and write any comments/questions you wish to ask. i'd like some info on B.O.V etc. i have just joined scooby.net so appologies if i make a right meal of this thread. if you don't have a link to find me, my username is -first ever scooby.
basically i'm just looking for as much info on suggestions to look after her, possibly get her faster and styling etc etc. i've mentioned this already somewhere but every comment good or bad is appreciated. the comment "who asked for your pennys worth" isn't the case as i want every pennys worth. my work schedule for the next few weeks is pretty demanding so i will endeavour to get back to you all asap. thanks a lot.
Old 14 September 2008, 04:10 PM
s1lko
Scooby Regular

Welcome...

Sorry to see you got stung on the mileage. Unfortunately you've got no hope of getting any kind of compensation without concrete proof that pins it on one party. Even then, do you trust the British justice system to get it right? Best bet is to put it down to experience and move on.

With regards to specific info, you'll learn loads by using the search facility to dig out old threads. There is a massive pool of info there.

And BOVs? You're about to open a can of worms there (see the old threads - it splits this place in two). The general concensus seems to be to steer clear of dump/blow off valves that vent to atmosphere. They purge air that has already been factored into the air/fuel mixture.

Happy modding

Last edited by s1lko; 14 September 2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 14 September 2008, 04:21 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guess you mean td05 turbo?
Is it 160K miles or km? (still not nice to get stung though).
Don't bother with bovs as there a lot better things to spend your money on.

Before modding the car make sure it is in good basic health first, a rolling road can check fuelling/boost.
Old 15 September 2008, 12:51 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

mmm, does sound like you got burnt, but where to go from now.

well your options are, go back to the seller, if there is proof its been tampered with go back and complain adn maybe get your money back.

failing that, as susgested get it dyno'd and checked out.

at 160k then its pretty high milage so wouldn't recomend going to mad power wise unless your prepared to apy for a rebuild.

full decat, panel filter and remap shold be about as far as you can gop without too much risk.

BOV and duimp vlaves make no dofference to the performance, so depends on if you like the sound or not wether you go for one.

the standard brakes arn't exactly brilliant so theres another possible avenue to go along, also the usual suspension mods.
Old 15 September 2008, 10:42 PM
first ever scooby
Scooby Regular

well from what i'm told, its apparently the T5 turbo that the volvos have, if that is the td05 then i apologise. i'm pretty useless at all this stuff. still trying to get clued up on all the abbreviations etc. am i right in saying that when you suggest putting a panel filter, do you mean scrap the induction kit and go back to the old skool filter box? as for dump valves, i am looking to get one as the 'child' within me loves the sound. i used to have a renault 5 gtt and it didn't matter what went wrong with it, the sound of the dump valve always kept my spirits high i'll either go for the baileys or HKS as i'm told they're better but a lot more expensive. say for instance, a hks B.O.V is £240, what else could i do with that money, to be of a benefit to the scooby. servicing etc has already been taken care off.
Old 16 September 2008, 12:25 AM
cushti
Scooby Regular

If you're unsure of the mileage then I really hope when you say the servicing has been taken care of that the cambelt has been included in that!

59k is suspiciously low for any 1994 car, not just a Scooby. The import co.s guess of 160k is just that, a guess so being positive it's probably lower. If it goes like stink with a slippy clutch then I'd say you've come out pretty good.

Both BOV & induction are can of worms on here - do a search for threads. Best way is meeting up with others who have the mods you're interested in at shows or the like. My opinion is that there is no gained performance with a BOV, just the sound (a few could be detrimental but, as they say, you get what you pay for). Induction kits I think are beneficial for performance by a small amount but heard that they could also reduce the lifespan of your MAF. A lot seem to vouch for the Apexi which must say something.

Saying all that, I have a Baileys dump valve DV26 (not loud at all) & a Pipercross induction kit (sounds like a souped up Dyson) & never had any MAF issues on my 1996 WRX import. The Baileys is less than half the price of the HKS. Check the ECU (under passenger footwell) has been chipped otherwise it may still be expecting 100ron in it's veins! If it's been in the UK for a while then it's probably chipped already but if not then use octane booster. First of all, ask yourself what power you want & why as it will make a huge difference to your wallet if say you wanted to go over about 330/350 brake because then you're talking about upgrades everywhere: turbo, aftermkt ecu, brakes e.t.c, e.t.c.!

I just noticed you're in West Sussex too - give me a shout if you like when passing by to hear what the Baileys & Pipercross is like.
Old 16 September 2008, 07:07 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by first ever scooby
well from what i'm told, its apparently the T5 turbo that the volvos have, if that is the td05 then i apologise. i'm pretty useless at all this stuff. still trying to get clued up on all the abbreviations etc. am i right in saying that when you suggest putting a panel filter, do you mean scrap the induction kit and go back to the old skool filter box? as for dump valves, i am looking to get one as the 'child' within me loves the sound. i used to have a renault 5 gtt and it didn't matter what went wrong with it, the sound of the dump valve always kept my spirits high i'll either go for the baileys or HKS as i'm told they're better but a lot more expensive. say for instance, a hks B.O.V is £240, what else could i do with that money, to be of a benefit to the scooby. servicing etc has already been taken care off.
No need to apologise if you got told that but as standard the early import saloon turbo is a td05 (which is a rather good turbo ).
BOVS don't bother spend your money on something better.
The car will not expect 100 RON so you can run it on 97 RON or better (just not BP Ultimate as most imprezas don't seem to like it)
Old 16 September 2008, 08:05 PM
first ever scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cushti
If you're unsure of the mileage then I really hope when you say the servicing has been taken care of that the cambelt has been included in that!

59k is suspiciously low for any 1994 car, not just a Scooby. The import co.s guess of 160k is just that, a guess so being positive it's probably lower. If it goes like stink with a slippy clutch then I'd say you've come out pretty good.

Both BOV & induction are can of worms on here - do a search for threads. Best way is meeting up with others who have the mods you're interested in at shows or the like. My opinion is that there is no gained performance with a BOV, just the sound (a few could be detrimental but, as they say, you get what you pay for). Induction kits I think are beneficial for performance by a small amount but heard that they could also reduce the lifespan of your MAF. A lot seem to vouch for the Apexi which must say something.

Saying all that, I have a Baileys dump valve DV26 (not loud at all) & a Pipercross induction kit (sounds like a souped up Dyson) & never had any MAF issues on my 1996 WRX import. The Baileys is less than half the price of the HKS. Check the ECU (under passenger footwell) has been chipped otherwise it may still be expecting 100ron in it's veins! If it's been in the UK for a while then it's probably chipped already but if not then use octane booster. First of all, ask yourself what power you want & why as it will make a huge difference to your wallet if say you wanted to go over about 330/350 brake because then you're talking about upgrades everywhere: turbo, aftermkt ecu, brakes e.t.c, e.t.c.!

I just noticed you're in West Sussex too - give me a shout if you like when passing by to hear what the Baileys & Pipercross is like.

there is definitely proof that the cambelt has been done and the service i had done. without me going outside right now and checking what make the induction kit is, i'm not entirely sure what make it is. it has the mushroom shape filter so i don't think its K&N. i have been running her on '97 and she seems to be ok. i'v got 1/4 tank of ultimate at the moment and its running like a bag of dog pooh and the mpg has been rubbish. i haven't found one garage at the moment that has V-power otherwise i'd use it all day, every day. i thought a guess of 160k was quite high considering how well it drives and boosts. its a little lumpy for the first 5 mins in the morning and i'm guessing that's because its only running on a single cat i have a sports down pipe ready to go on, but i want to get another 12 months m.o.t so that i don't have to change it back over for a while for the emissions. i'll probably go for a hks ssqv as i've seen a lot of good reports and to be honest, i miss being able to make people jump on the side of the road when you drop off the accelerator when i say the clutch is slipping, what i mean is, if i'm sat at a set of traffic lights and i want to get in front of that smug little git, that has a dolly bird sat next to him because having a nice car means so much to her! i think i'm not alone when i say i just want to humiliate both of them and watch their smiles fade away when they become a ever fading black dot in the rear view mirror! sorry about that guys, i'll get back to the point. if i sit her on about 3k and then come of the clutch with my revs getting higher, i get (what seems like a year) a moment of nothing and then all of a sudden it takes off, whilst the other car has jumped in front! so, as you can see, my little comment earlier is actually making me look the prat also i find that if i change to 2nd at about 6k, it crunches into second and the rest is fine. i was told that if it was the 2nd gear synch, then i'd have trouble changing down from 3rd? apparently its usually the 3rd synch that goes? this is partly the reason why i'm getting a new clutch and also the fact that i do a lot of travelling to kent and don't want to be one of those that has to have the AA pick you up! with all those long windy roads, who would thats what i like about this forum, cheers cushti i will do just that! thanks for all the info guys, you're helping this clueless owner understand
Old 17 September 2008, 11:32 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Where about in west sussex are you mate?
Old 18 September 2008, 10:46 PM
first ever scooby
Scooby Regular

i'm in littlehampton mate, how about yourself?