Notices

HHO or Hydrogen Fuel System

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2008, 12:37 AM
fygtbug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HHO or Hydrogen Fuel System

found one of these Waterboost Hydrogen Fuel Systems on ebay and began to look into it..... Even found a few Turbo guys using them on youtube

sounds very promising, interesting and at the same time kinda scary...

But could this actually from what I have read be a way to both increase economy, boost power and protect your engine from knock all in one go.... Yeah I know sounds too bloody good to be true.... But interesting never the less.....

they say you can run at afr's of 18:1 and even advance timing

sure has left me nearly curious enough to nearly go out and by one, what I might do is go over and take a look see the company is only an hour away for me.....
Old 23 September 2008, 12:43 AM
jim litten
Scooby Regular

Soooo you've never seen Mythbusters on Discovery Channel?

Run away little boy
Old 23 September 2008, 12:51 AM
fygtbug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jim litten
Soooo you've never seen Mythbusters on Discovery Channel?

Run away little boy
Yeah I have seen mythbusters, and I find the little boy comment just a little insulting....

trust me I didnt just read their webpage and blurt it out, this question was delivered after spending the last 4 days reading every single peice of info I could find.... Including plenty of the negative....

So if you have a constructive comment, I'd like to hear it, if on the other hand, all you have is the ability to talk about little boys I'm sure there are plenty of other threads you could find out there to join in on...

Thanks
Old 23 September 2008, 02:29 AM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Making HHO does work (seen some pretty light shows ) but I do not think it is self sustaining to power a car. It would defy the laws of physics!

The amount of energy you would have to put in far outweighs what you would get out of it. You would definitely get energy loss through heat etc..

Interesting idea though. I do not believe that technology/method would ever come close to 100% efficiency.

I stand to be corrected but lets see what further development brings.

H
Old 23 September 2008, 03:58 PM
fygtbug
Scooby Regular

I'm not actually looking at it for a fuel economy/actual fuel option, I'm looking more towards the octane and fuel burn properties and possible ability to run more timing advance/boost with greater knock protection.....
Old 23 September 2008, 09:03 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I wonder just how much current is needed to produce a "decent" amount of HHO ?

Interesting....

DunxC
Old 23 September 2008, 10:09 PM
typeRv4
Scooby Regular

from wiki

Many alleged water-fuelled cars obtain hydrogen or a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen (sometimes called "oxyhydrogen", "HHO", or "Brown's Gas") by the electrolysis of water, a process that must be powered electrically. The hydrogen or oxyhydrogen is then burned, supposedly powering the car and also providing the energy to electrolyse more water. The overall process can be represented by the following chemical equations:

2H2O → 2H2 + O2 [Electrolysis step]
2H2 + O2 → 2H2O [Combustion step]

Since the combustion step is the exact reverse of the electrolysis step, the energy released in combustion exactly equals the energy consumed in the electrolysis step, and—even assuming 100% efficiency—there would be no energy left over to power the car. In other words, such systems start and end in the same thermodynamic state, and are therefore perpetual motion machines, violating the first law of thermodynamics. And under actual conditions in which hydrogen is burned, efficiency is limited by the second law of thermodynamics and is likely to be around 20%.[7][8] More energy is therefore required to drive the electrolysis cell than can be extracted from burning the resulting hydrogen-oxygen mixture.

Which is why it does not work.

You can't create energy from nothing.

Car makers are at the moment spending billions to improve fuel economy, fuel cells, electric cars etc etc. If water as a fuel worked they would use them quick smart.

If your really desperate to run hydrogen as a fuel then buy it in a tank.

Last edited by typeRv4; 23 September 2008 at 10:19 PM.