Notices

Help! Exhaust fumes entering cabin.

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2008, 08:53 AM
garycliff
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Exhaust fumes entering cabin.

First a quick bit of background. I have an 06 2.5 STI onto which I got put a full decat H&S exhaust system, turbo back, uprated fuel pump and panel filter. The car was then remapped by Andy Forrest, and this all happened back in June.

After this I noticed fumes would enter the passengar cabin when the car was at a standstill, especially after a bit of continuous driving, i.e. coming of the motorway and stopping at lights you would get a faceful of fumes through the blowers.

After many trips to the guy who fitted the exhaust it turns out it hadn't be fitted properly to the turbo and had been blowing out. This was fixed, but didn't solve the problem. I have since had a new downpipe fitted and this still hasn't fixed the problem.

I have looked around under the bonnet and can't see where it could be blowing out, but on lifting the bonnet there is a smell of fumes. Also from the rear of the car the exhaust fumes would also have a strong smell.

Would the fact that the downpipe was leaking mean that the remap was too rich?
Could the up-pipe be blowing out?

I am at the end of my tether now, and just feel like putting the original exhaust back on as this has been going on for too long.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gary
Old 23 October 2008, 01:29 PM
sti-chris
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem , On removing my downpipe you could see that there
was a bit of weld keeping the downpipe from bolting flush onto the turbo.

This bit of weld was ground off and all is well.

However i do find that since the removal of the cat's the car reeks of fuel at the back.
Old 23 October 2008, 01:49 PM
garycliff
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you notice a sooty blowout around the downpipe flange, as when mine was removed it was totally clean? The face of the new downpipe was also checked and had no flaws.

Does you car smell of fuel or fumes? I would put a sports cat on if I though it would fix the problem, but don't want to spend money on it if that won't fix it, as it wouldn't be a cheap fix.