Notices

Some one help me please

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2008, 07:40 PM
dhawk44
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some one help me please

So this morning i got into mu 1993 Sub impreza from japan. has the ej20 motor in it. started it up gave it a few minutes to worm up and went to leave for work any time i hit 4,000rpm it would fell like the fuel cut off at 180 would kick in bog down and do it again so i drove it for a bit without going over 3000rpms little further down the road went to pass and had no were near the power it did before. now also whn idleing it feels like the car shakes more then before can some one help me out......
Old 28 October 2008, 09:50 AM
nampahc01
Scooby Regular

could be coil packs breaking down. cold damp mornings would make it worse.

the fact it shakes more sounds like its going off a cylinder
Old 28 October 2008, 11:23 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

coil packs is a good possibility, also the colder weather could mean it is also overboosting resulting in the fuel cut.

Give it a good service, check the coil packs (there is a rubber type cap on the end, gently remove this and check for cracks in the plastic.) If they are cracked then change them all (any good ones can be kept a spare)
Old 28 October 2008, 11:53 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds more like a fuel cut because there is a hidden check engine light fault [ CEL ] That could be for a boost spike or it could be a failing maf or throttle position sensor That sort of thing.

Trawl around on here for the page on how to self diagnose by connecting the correct cables inder the dash then figure out what code it is telling you, then you'll know what to do about it.

Firstly, you could try resetting the ecu by disconnecting the battery for 20 seconds - reconnect and then drive it to see if it comes back as a fault. Sometimes it is just a reaction to a temporary fault and a reset fixes it.

Don't get your hopes up too high and don't ignore it, as there are plenty of things hiding under the engine bay that will do long term damage if not sorted out quickly.

Good luck call me if I can help you. No obligation

David APi

Agents for:
Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years
Buddy Club exhausts
Scoobysportexhausts
Eibach suspension
Hybrid front mount intercooler kits
AP Racing brakes and clutches
And of course; the well known APi Performance Exedy organic clutch

www.apiengines.com

01926 614333
Old 28 October 2008, 04:14 PM
dhawk44
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the help gonna try the battery thing today if that dont work ill do the coil packs and spark plugs if that dont work i guess she will have to go to subaru. but the wierd thing is that im getting no engine codes sooo
Old 28 October 2008, 04:28 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhawk44
thanks for the help gonna try the battery thing today if that dont work ill do the coil packs and spark plugs if that dont work i guess she will have to go to subaru. but the wierd thing is that im getting no engine codes sooo
If the coil packs are showing cracks at the plug ends then by all means change them. But if they look Ok, then leave them just for now. Why spend £200 on new coil packs if you don't need them, or it doesn't make the problem go away ?

Coil packs usually give a hesitation/misfire when coming on to boost rather than a full blown fuel cut type fault.

Ditto plugs.

Sometimes you don't get any codes even when there is an obvious problem. It is at that point that you need to visit someone like us who can evaluate it better, rather than just chucking parts at it until you run out of money.

David APi