Notices

Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2008, 11:24 PM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions please

Been a long time since i've posted on here, but i could do with some opinions on my poorly baby please.

Its a 1999 UK Turbo 2000 Wagon and has been running fine up until a few weeks ago. It started to 'misbehave' when cold, by that i mean, it would fire up fine, but would lag and surge until the engine was warm. Once warm, it was absolutely fine. I just put it down to the cold, damp weather.

Yesterday, when i left for work we'd had a hard frost. Car behaved perfectly, no surge or anything, so was quite chuffed that it had sorted itself out. When i got in it last night to come home again, it was worse than ever. The engine seemed to be vibrating crazily, so much so, that it was like sitting on a bouncy castle in the drivers seat. There was no lag or surging but seemed like it was going short of something, air or fuel maybe? It got me home, albeit very slowly. Even when warm the problem was still there and it just didnt want to know about acceleration, it had the power of a 1 litre micra. 0-60 in about 15 seconds lol. There were no warning lights, temp was ok, but drinking fuel like a fish.

This morning, hard frost again, but the car was reluctant to start, again vibrating like mad and felt like it was short of something. Got to work(couldnt not go) and got home, but the problem is now permanent.

After talking to a friend and doing some searches on here, the MAF sensor seems to the main culprit, but is there anything more sinister it could be? Its going to be looked at tomorrow evening by a subaru mechanic, but would driving it 50 miles to see him do the car any damage?
Thanks in advance
Steff
Old 29 October 2008, 11:50 PM
T4YLOR 83
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steffiraf
Been a long time since i've posted on here, but i could do with some opinions on my poorly baby please.

Its a 1999 UK Turbo 2000 Wagon and has been running fine up until a few weeks ago. It started to 'misbehave' when cold, by that i mean, it would fire up fine, but would lag and surge until the engine was warm. Once warm, it was absolutely fine. I just put it down to the cold, damp weather.

Yesterday, when i left for work we'd had a hard frost. Car behaved perfectly, no surge or anything, so was quite chuffed that it had sorted itself out. When i got in it last night to come home again, it was worse than ever. The engine seemed to be vibrating crazily, so much so, that it was like sitting on a bouncy castle in the drivers seat. There was no lag or surging but seemed like it was going short of something, air or fuel maybe? It got me home, albeit very slowly. Even when warm the problem was still there and it just didnt want to know about acceleration, it had the power of a 1 litre micra. 0-60 in about 15 seconds lol. There were no warning lights, temp was ok, but drinking fuel like a fish.

This morning, hard frost again, but the car was reluctant to start, again vibrating like mad and felt like it was short of something. Got to work(couldnt not go) and got home, but the problem is now permanent.

After talking to a friend and doing some searches on here, the MAF sensor seems to the main culprit, but is there anything more sinister it could be? Its going to be looked at tomorrow evening by a subaru mechanic, but would driving it 50 miles to see him do the car any damage?
Thanks in advance
Steff
if i was you i wouldnt drive it anywhere if its the maf theres a good chance you could f**k the engine! just buy a new maf £94 from dealer, cheaper than a rebuild