Notices

polar performace chip

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2008, 10:47 PM
mbd sti2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polar performace chip

has any one used or have an opinion on a polar performance chip fitted to a classic wrx, sti etc my mate has just got a 94 wrx for not a lot of money and saw the web site for them claiming ok to run uk fuel more boost and fuel to match anyone help i told him to have an esl remap like me but funds are low at this point in time
Old 21 November 2008, 12:23 AM
*matt*
Scooby Regular

im looking at these too, heard good things as a 1st power up-grade
Old 21 November 2008, 08:53 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

polar performance I believe are associated with the ESL chips, think it is a guy called scott t on here (definately scott) a good worthwhile mod
Old 21 November 2008, 11:40 AM
orbix
Scooby Regular

I'm running a ESL version of the chip, for the money they're great, boost is 1.1 bar.
Old 21 November 2008, 01:57 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

nothing wrong with the hardware as said its an esl baord, however generic maps are a big no no with scoobs.

none of the major tuners will use generic maps on scoobs (other than the standard one or prodrive) and that says it all.
Old 21 November 2008, 02:13 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

I'm running one, had it in about a year now with zero problems. Go get one
Old 21 November 2008, 06:14 PM
w13dle
Scooby Regular

also another here running the polar performance chip very happy with it, scott t knows his stuff wouldnt use any other generic map like seen on ebay
Old 21 November 2008, 09:53 PM
mbd sti2
Scooby Regular

cheers fellas only one negative out of all posts i will pass the message on to him i know uk prodrive cars ran a similar chip on early cars as a customer of mine had it done to his when he ordered his 96 car and i have serviced that car since 99 and his is still fine and never had the engine apart and its done 86k now
Old 21 November 2008, 10:30 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will not go wrong with a scott t chip 100% provided its the right chip for the car
Old 22 November 2008, 09:10 AM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

As above i had one of his from about 7 years ago when he was first starting off , car has been great , no probs takes car to about 285 bhp.

Mark
Old 22 November 2008, 11:25 AM
NAY93WRX
Scooby Regular

Had one on my 93 wrx, It took the boost from 0.8 to 1.1 and made a huge difference in overall performance

Recommend one to anyone
Old 22 November 2008, 12:51 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes I had one for about a year, no probs and Scott was very helpful via PM on here re questions about it, etc. So excellent tech support.

Although I agree getting a fully mappable ECU mapped bespoke to any given engine is obviously the best route... The PP chip - from a safety point of view, if nothing else - has GOT to be better than the Subaru's OEM map, as the OEM map is mapped to run on the Jap's higher RON. With the PP though, its mapped for UK-available 97 RON (Esso Supreme), so has got to be safer for the engine than the JDM map!

As a bonus the chip still allows the IAM feature to work anyway, so the ECU still has the capability to retard ign./lower boost should it need to.

Last edited by joz8968; 22 November 2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 24 November 2008, 07:56 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Have had one fitted to my motor for around a year.. No problems at all. Fitted one to my mates wagon on friday and he has just been in the office giving it the big thumbs up.

I wouldn't have recommended it to him if I didn't think it was a good product. Bang for buck its gotto be one of the best options.
Old 24 November 2008, 09:05 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Although I agree getting a fully mappable ECU mapped bespoke to any given engine is obviously the best route... The PP chip - from a safety point of view, if nothing else - has GOT to be better than the Subaru's OEM map, as the OEM map is mapped to run on the Jap's higher RON. With the PP though, its mapped for UK-available 97 RON (Esso Supreme), so has got to be safer for the engine than the JDM map!

Yes the chip has been mapped to work with our fuel but since the early cars ran on Premium fuel which is very similar to ours i don't how you can say it's safer than the JDM map.
Old 24 November 2008, 10:33 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
Yes the chip has been mapped to work with our fuel but since the early cars ran on Premium fuel which is very similar to ours i don't how you can say it's safer than the JDM map.
Hi myblackwrx. I seem to recall we had a similar conversation many months ago re the Jap fuel, etc.

Are you saying that at the time the car was produced, the Jap's only had c.95-98 RON type fuels then, and that the ECU was deifinitely optimised for it and no higher? Did the 100-102 RON come along a few years later or something?

This is still an area that - for me at least - has never been categorically answered (or perhaps I've just forgotten lol) ... Hence my post - erring on the side of satety because of not being totally sure. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with that stragegy.

Last edited by joz8968; 24 November 2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 24 November 2008, 10:56 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Sorry if my post seemed a bit aggressive (when i re-read it it does)
Fair play tis always better to err on the side of safety
Japanese fuel has been ,from sources that i've seen and talked to, as low as 89 (obviously not imprezas or other high performance cars though ) going through 91 then upto Premium which seems to be 96 in the early years of impreza/evo production.

My 93wrx with z4 ecu is perfectly fine on 97 (the z4 ecu is the map modified by prodrive for the early PPP kits which they suggested 97 should be used)

The 100 ron fuels didn't come into mass marketing until about 1997ish (also when Subaru and Mitsubishi started producing 280ps models coinincedence perhaps or perhaps not ).
Old 24 November 2008, 11:11 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Japanese fuel has been ,from sources that i've seen and talked to, as low as 89 (obviously not imprezas or other high performance cars though ) going through 91 then upto Premium which seems to be 96 in the early years of impreza/evo production.

My 93wrx with z4 ecu is perfectly fine on 97 (the z4 ecu is the map modified by prodrive for the early PPP kits which they suggested 97 should be used)

The 100 ron fuels didn't come into mass marketing until about 1997ish (also when Subaru and Mitsubishi started producing 280ps models coinincedence perhaps or perhaps not ).
Paul you used to be all for the modified chips why the change?? also what fuel do you run you car on??
Old 24 November 2008, 11:25 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

No worries mate - no 'offence' taken.

Ahhh, in that case my post about the safety aspect is 'wrong' then - fair do's .

That's great for all OEM ECU'd pre-v.3 owners then (and also the IAM feature helps anyway!)
Old 24 November 2008, 11:57 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen
Paul you used to be all for the modified chips why the change?? also what fuel do you run you car on??
I'm not dissing the chips (as the results from many people have proved) just Joz's point about the safety of JDM maps/UK fuel on a standard ecu for early imprezas.

I run mine on 99 ron because wierd as it may seem 97 doesn't seem to be readily avaliable
Price is always an issue as most companies 97 RON is more expensive than Tescos 99 RON

Last edited by myblackwrx; 24 November 2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 24 November 2008, 12:06 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

I ran an SB ecu from an early STI RA in my First WRX and even with Tesco 99 this ECU run really lean so **** knows how much worse it would of been on 97ron.
Old 24 November 2008, 12:54 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Comes from the first STI RAs doesn't it and they were a bit of a mish mash being modified from WRXs rather than a full STI.
For early 'normal' wrxs/stis 1-2 then 97 is fine ,imo, but with these 'special' versions you never know but the Japs do like push the maps to the max (Mines chips being a good example)
Old 24 November 2008, 03:48 PM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

Hi, i know scott.
Can i suggest a call to him. He is a very clever guy,and more importantly Safety is his number one concern.
Do a search on sussexscoobies or southeastscoobies and you will find only positive feedback.
Old 24 November 2008, 08:17 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Comes from the first STI RAs doesn't it and they were a bit of a mish mash being modified from WRXs rather than a full STI.
For early 'normal' wrxs/stis 1-2 then 97 is fine ,imo, but with these 'special' versions you never know but the Japs do like push the maps to the max (Mines chips being a good example)
If you saw the fuel/ignition map from a STi 1 RA you would want to run on as higher RON as possible. The leanest Pre96 Impreza by a long shot (IIRC nearly 2 AFR leaner then the equivelant WRX) and also one of the highest boosting.

93-94 WRX fuel/ignition maps are full of dips and spikes and hence beneft of a remap which smooths and improves driveability.
94 WRX (260ps) or STi 2 is the best of the bunch and OK for UK 97RON fuel. But only at stock boost levels.

Last edited by Scott.T; 24 November 2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 25 November 2008, 10:40 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Question

So to summarise Scott...

Out of the choice of OEM ECU and your chip (with 1.1bar):

MY93-96 v.I/II WRX/WRX RA... OEM ECU OR PP chip... 97+ RON... ?

MY93-96 v.I/II STi/STi RA... PP chip ONLY... 97+ RON... ?
Old 25 November 2008, 03:18 PM
Brooksy40
Scooby Newbie

Default Polar Performance

Hi, Just to add i'm running a Polar Performance chip and have done for about a year and all i can say is brilliant - great performance ( i've got full decat / FMIC/ Induction kit ) and never had a single problem.
Old 25 November 2008, 04:05 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Another for Scott.t PolarPerformance. Have had a few of his chips over the years on various WRX's, and he is the only supplier I would trust for the plug and play chips. The back up and feedback you get is second to none.

His chips and maps within have been developed over years, along with years of knowledge of mapping.

The ultimate route though is the ESL live map and have had some great results from it. But you can't knock the plug and play chips in terms of cost and results.

The biggest thing I learnt over the years though it to make sure your car is in tip top health before you chip it or map it. Its amazing how problems arise when you start raising boost that otherwise would have not been apparant. That you think might be the map or chip that actually ends up being a dodgy coil pack, dodgy hose, map sensor, etc,etc.
Old 26 November 2008, 12:32 AM
mbd sti2
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the input on this question few mixed opinions in the middle, yes an esl live map may be better but seeing several people on here who run or have run these chip's they seem to be good value bang per buck as they say, also have had a few e-mails to scott t and this guy seem to know his stuff and its nice to see people have high opinions of him and his customer service so i have placed an order for one and will be fitting it this weekend hopfully, as long as the weather holds off only problem with being a mechanic your mates expect you to work no matter what it does (gits) will let you know how it goes

And to scott t thank you for a good deal
Old 29 November 2008, 10:32 PM
mbd sti2
Scooby Regular

quick update chip has been fitted (and it was fookin cold to!) easy to fit scott sent me some great instuctions only took an hour start to finish including a brew once fitted started car and it seemed to have some idle issues but i did disconnect the battery so it may have been self learning base idle as it seems to have got better with a few miles driving, due to the freezing fog we have been having in stoke we have not been out to push it and see what difference its made although i did give i a quick boot full and i did see 1.1 bar of boost but its a bit un-nerving when you cant see more than 30ft in front of the car , will report back when its done a few miles about the idle issues has anyone had similar things after fitting one ?
Old 29 November 2008, 10:41 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

Polar performance, and scott is very helpful in my experiance.
Old 29 November 2008, 11:08 PM
Bikebloke
Scooby Regular

Wink

No probs with polar performance. Had recent mapping session the man is so helpfull.Gets my recomendation.