Notices

Car running Rich, Bogging Down, Laggy and Generally ****e!

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2008, 09:32 PM
Monky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Car running Rich, Bogging Down, Laggy and Generally ****e!

Hi all,

Yet more woes with my V3 Sti Wagon 1996 Import, Mod wise full afterburner 3 inch system turbo back and HKS filter that's it. I'm getting terrible fuel consumption at the moment, as low as 150 miles to a tank. The car is bogging down really badly and has lost all performance.

Turbo is ridiculously laggy, you get stuck in this twilight zone when changing gear which really hampers the spool, car still boosts to 1.2 bar and is consistent but it's almost like the pressure is being lost somewhere. The turbo is quite whistley now with the decat which is expected but it's almost like it's got a little louder.

It hasn't been remapped and it is an import so one possibility I thought of is that the ignition is being retarded due to the lower octane fuel hence sapping performance and running rich? All I can think of really unless it's sensor related like MAF or Lambda. Generally not nice to drive at the moment, it used to be bloody quick but over time it's got worse. Occasionally it has a breath of life and acts as per normal but most of the time boggy!

Any ideas or help appreciated.

Cheers
Old 09 December 2008, 09:46 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

intercooler leak..

check the pipes between intercooler and turbo and also check the gaskets on the underside of the intercooler and that the black intercooler plastic pipe is not split etc..

also an exhaust leak before the turbo would no help.

Simon
Old 10 December 2008, 02:58 PM
Monky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply, am I right in saying if there was an intercooler leak then the car would run rich as it would see more oxygen? I've had to remove the TMIC to fit the exhaust a few times so it's possible I've left something off or broken something, I'll have a look after work today

I think your theory is right though, as sometimes when I floor it very quickly the car drives as per normal but when I slowly build the boost it's slow which could give it time to leak if the hole was small. I'll also check the up pipe and headers are these common crackers on the Sti classics?

Once I've cured the problem I'll be booking in for standalone and a remap with you as the chap we bought the car from recommended you, he also has a V3 Sti Wagon. No more mods planned just wanted a exhaust, filter and standalone due to being an import

Thanks again
Old 10 December 2008, 09:36 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if there is an intercooler leak basically the air is sucked in through the maf by the turbo and so the ecu sees the maf voltage and injects fuel for it but all that air goes out the intercooler pipe leak and so the amount of fuel injected is too much and it runs rich / bogs and also has no assistance from the turbo as the air is not getting into the engine etc..

Simon