Notices

real slow / no max boost problem

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2008, 02:18 PM
Style
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default real slow / no max boost problem

my car in 5th gears seems to be ok, will start to come on boost from 2-3k and is quite responsive,

however in much lower gears, i hardly get on boost at all.

in first gear, i only start to come on boost around 4 ish k, and dont really reach full before changing gear around 6 k or so.

2nd gear isnt quite so bad, but still really late, and i rarely see full boost.

3 and 4 are also pretty pants, but 5 doesnt seem to be too bad.

I recently fitted equal length headers, the exhaust is 3 inch decat with a sports cat on the center, but other than that standard 1995 wrx import.

can anyone explain why this is, and why 5th gears seems as good, if not better than before?>

Last edited by Style; 10 December 2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10 December 2008, 02:46 PM
Monky
Scooby Regular

Maybe with the new headers and the 3inch exhaust their is now too little back pressure for your turbo causing greater amounts of lag and reduced turbo response? Either that or a leak somewhere!
Old 10 December 2008, 02:55 PM
Style
Scooby Regular

ok would this explain why 5th gear is still really responsive?

would putting a 2.5" exhaust on help?

the cars always had the 3" exhaust work ,but since fitting the headers, ive noticed this real lack of boost in low gears
Old 10 December 2008, 03:08 PM
Monky
Scooby Regular

Yeah if it's okay in 5th then it's a strange one, are you sure there are no intercooler leaks anywhere? Do you find if you floor it quickly the car is fine but if you build boost slowly then floor it the car is slow?

I have this problem but suspect and intercooler leak somewhere, if the hole is small enough then if you build pressure quickly it won't leak but if you build pressure slowly it does. Who put the headers on for you and are you sure they are not leaking, gaskets all good? I did read another post with a chap that had installed s/s headers that had a similar problem, increase lag and reduced turbo response and most seemed to recommend going back to stock. What headers are they, were the flanges dead straight?
Old 10 December 2008, 03:35 PM
Style
Scooby Regular

they were infact second hand, so you could be right.. yes infact i suspect you are.

will test this shortly on the way home, but iirc if i was to slowly rev it i could get up to high revs with no boost.

ill give it a try flooring it, and slowly going up the revs, to see if there is a difference in boost.

but yea as you say strange why 5th seems really good.

if this is the case, ill be putting the standards back on myself then : (

was a right pain fitting them, but should be real quick now ive done the job once.

also will have a check for intercooler leaks* its a right pain getting the bottom plastic tube on.. really gets on your ****! for future reference anyway is there an easy way to do this?

anyone ported their own? do you know how to do it? might be worth giving it a go myself, if anyone has any tips / advice on doing it before i fit the standards back on

Last edited by Style; 10 December 2008 at 03:41 PM.