Notices

What a pig.........half way thru heater matrix removal

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2008, 03:35 PM
movi-star
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a pig.........half way thru heater matrix removal

This job takes ages! nearly 6 hours in and Ive not even got the matrix out yet, cant believe you have to remove the huge metal support bar, then only to find out its got 2 torque screws holding it down near the ashtray area.

It seems there is a massive additional part of the heater above the ecu in the passenger footwell, looks like this has to come out to, but there is 2 different types of bolts holding it in underneath, one of them has a long bit coming out which no rachet spanner can fit over, no access for a normal spanner neither!

Anyone got any tips? Its a MY00 Impreza
Old 19 December 2008, 04:27 PM
Style
Scooby Regular

hi mate, did mine 95 classic 2 weekends ago. just have a place to put all the screws relaiting to each bit so you dont loose any screws.

and just take it all off, the bar and dash board, i just undid all the bolts, and moved it backwards about a foot and a half, the metal bar once undone only needs to move back only a little but once its loose, is easy to move about.

the stuff next to the matrix is a pain, i got a bit annoyed with it, however if you just loosen the bottom screw and top screws of the two bits next to the matrix assembly. - youll notice that they are kind of linked, once loose, i was able to really pull them over hard and pull the matrix assembly out.

once its out, the rest is pretty easy, and took me about 5 getting it all out, and 2hrs putting it back. just crack on and undertand iut all needs to come off, so just get undoing it all. keep the screws seperate and iuts easy
Old 19 December 2008, 11:41 PM
movi-star
Scooby Regular

I think there are a few differences between our model years.

Mine has the thick metal support bar, then 2 metal bars going down to the ashtray area, these are held in by torque screws (hexagonal with inverted nipple) nothing I have will undo them, not even the new set of torque heads I bought today!

Ive taken pics so might put them up when done (if!) as there are no MY99-MY00 pics on here, just older dash models.
Old 20 December 2008, 08:51 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

undo the metal bars in the middle where they meet the cross bar rather than at the trans tunnel end
Old 20 December 2008, 06:50 PM
movi-star
Scooby Regular

JGM they are welded at point where they meet the main bar.

Turns out they were normal torque heads, size 6, managed to get them off and get the matrix out, taken 7 hours over 2 days.

Into the 3rd day tomorrow, have the dash back, pics to follow which will serve to warn others not to bother doing it themselves on a MY00!!
Old 20 December 2008, 07:44 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh not torques on a 96 I think.. been a while since I done it although about to remove the dash again
Old 20 December 2008, 08:18 PM
Style
Scooby Regular

hi mate, guessing youve done it by nowe. if not someone on here suggested drilling the middle out, then using your torx bits.

if not i managed to undo these on the MAf of a 2.0 20v bravo hgt. just use mole grips, clamp them on real tight and undo them

worth a try