Notices

Sqealing from Rear SOMEWHERE

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2009, 12:24 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sqealing from Rear SOMEWHERE

Out in the car today and there was a noise that initially sounded like running water. I put it down to the snow on the car melting. After a while it started to get louder and was a definate squeal coming from the rear of the car (diff, wheeles brakes etc) and then it just seemed to stop.

Got to where I was going and got set to come home, all was well, at least to start with. The noise started again as I entered the A41 and stayed, getting seemingly louder although that could just be paranoia, until I stopped at a roundabout. When I pulled away noise gone again.

Got home and I've done some checks. No signs of anthing rubbing (ie tyres in spring seats etc). No leaks from the rear diff and no split CV boots. There was no grinding noise as I would expect from a bearing. There is no scoring of the rear discs that would point to a trapped stone or something. One of the discs did seem slightly warmer than the other, but the hubs weren't hot, only the braking surface. Again this tends me away from a bearing, and I'm thinking binding brakes possibly.

Having done these checks took the car out again, and through a range of scenarios (slow through town, opened up on a dual carriageway, bouncing down some country lanes and over a series of speed bumps) I cannot recreate the noise.

When it warms up I'll whip the calipers off and maybe treat them to some new seals etc. In the meantime any ideas or pointers would be appreciated.
Old 06 January 2009, 05:31 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Anyone
Old 06 January 2009, 05:49 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rear brake sticking.
Old 06 January 2009, 06:08 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scooby1doo1
rear brake sticking.
That's what I'm hoping. I'm planning to take the car off the road for the whole of March and do some bits. I'll re-build the rear calipers then and get some new handbrake shoes. I did give the car a real good clean the other day and I may have got some crap in there, but I'm sure it was happening before then, just not as bad.

I was really bricking it on the way home expecting a bearing to collapse or my diff to seize.
Old 11 April 2011, 09:17 AM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Mine has just started doing the same thing.

Thanks

Mark
Old 11 April 2011, 09:26 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I just gave the car a good service, whipped off the calipers and discs and gave it all a general good cleaning out, end of problem
Old 11 April 2011, 09:39 AM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'll give it a go
Old 11 April 2011, 09:56 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

On cars with standard brakes, you often get a small stone trapped between the rear of the disc and the disc protector. As the car moves the stone grates against both and the disc protector "rings" giving off an AWFUL noise.

The stone sometimes moves so it stops, but when the car stops, the stone drops again and off we go again.

Take off the wheels and check the lower edges of the disc/protector behind the disc.