Notices

how to repair cracked p1 bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2009, 08:19 AM
Style
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to repair cracked p1 bumper

as above, due to my little accident on another thread, my p1 bumper is cracked. and there is a small triangle piece of plastic missing, bit bigger than a 50p.

what can i use to repair the cracks, and can i stick something on the inside of the missing piece, and get it filled over from ontop, then have a go and spraying it in to match rest of bumper?

what should i use to repair the plastic, and what should i try and stick behind the missing piece?

i hear people talking of plastic welding. what exactly is this? and how does it work, could this be used?

ta
Old 05 February 2009, 09:28 PM
Andy Murdoch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use fibreglass behind it, the good stuff is more woven like cloth rather than the cheap stranded stuff which breaks up easily before resin is applied. A piece of kevlar would also work very well. Try and get a few off cuts from someone local who does composite work.

Make sure you roughen the back of it before applying, to give it a good key.

When fully cured you should be able to use plastic filler on the front which is meant to be slightly flexible.

I would think you'd be better to get the whole bumper sprayed as a local repair will be pretty hard to match.

All in it should be cheaper than buying a new bumper and should be well strong enough.