Notices

Car Cutting out! really dangerous, help / advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2009, 08:28 AM
Style
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Cutting out! really dangerous, help / advice needed

Hi ive a 1995 wrx import, which has been runnig fine till about january.

First of all i would get the occasional jerky boost under hard acceleration, where it wouldnt always come straight on boost, and my foot could be right down but boost would hover around 0.3 or 0.4 say.

This happened on and off, but not the whole time, and could get away with a few perfect drives with no issues.

Recently it has started to get worse. Ive been going along and suddenly all revs drop completely till i take my foot off accelerating then it might carry on. this could happen twice in 10 seconds so i change down gear, and seems to be ok.

Changing down gear also seemed to cure the occasional jerky boost i was getting.

When it is real bad, the revvs dont idle at the right place and seem to idle almost anywhere. but again this only happens for a few seconds then passes

any ideas as it did it on dual carriage way this morning and was really dangerous

thanks
Old 27 February 2009, 09:31 AM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

I would suggest summat is breaking down or is loose
if you lose boost, I would think it would have to be either the wastegate is open incorrectly or the turbo itself cannot produce boost: as the turbo is only a fan and is unlikely to 'fix' itself I would suggest its the wastegate
loose actuator maybe or plumbing issue?

not really sure what you mean by the revs droppping at speed......the revs would stay the same unless the engine is disconnected from the wheels - I assume you mean yu lose power and the car is 'coasting' /slowing down?
if you dip the clutch when you get the 'all revs drops' does the engine stall?

no CEL's?
anything happen in January to startit all off?
Old 27 February 2009, 10:58 AM
Style
Scooby Regular

ok the revvs dropping at speed... im going along in 5th on motorway, around 3 or 4k revvs. suddenly the car will kangaroo, the rev needle will drop like its not connected to anything, then shoot back up as i take foot of accelerator to around 3 - 4 k where it was.

will check all loose connections etc. the cutting out i think could be fuse related, what is the box next to the main fuse box next to the battery? mine has been smashed at some point, and not all the black fuses click in properly.

the check engine light wouldnt come on till i wiggled it jsut now. car wouldnt start, but starter motor went off fine. but when check engine light came back on after wiggling the fuses it started fine.

Can you replace this little fuse box, would i have to reconnect all wires or are they plug and play? and can i get one with fuses on it etc?

Last edited by Style; 27 February 2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 27 February 2009, 11:13 AM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

well, I think youve sorted yer problem!
you have to replace the fuse box ......not sure how the wires are connected but they're likely just to be push on connections, so should be easy enough!
Old 27 February 2009, 05:15 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

It might also be worth checking the earth strap on the top of the engine.
Sounds electrical, whatever the cause......
Old 02 March 2009, 07:06 PM
Style
Scooby Regular

where is the earth strap?

yea it is eletrical. cant pin point it, its still doing it.

when it cuts in and out, i get a sligh clicking from around / behind the clock or ignition area, like a clicking on or off.

very dangerous as it can just turn off at any minute and i do a lot of dual carriage way driving.

if i go real slowly doesnt tend to do it so much. i can have revvs at a constant 3k in 5th for 5 mins then it would suddenly do it still going in a straight line,

when its cut ouit the check engine light doesnt come on so car wont start. but still turns over etc.

could it be one of the plugs from the ecu?
Old 02 March 2009, 08:36 PM
Style
Scooby Regular

any ideas on what it could be, how i could find the problem?