Simtek

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2009, 06:27 PM
t7srt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simtek

Hu guys and gals

How much should i be looking at paying for simtek on a classic fully fitted and mapped? Also, who's best to use?

Thanks
Old 27 February 2009, 06:30 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk

Highly recommended
Old 27 February 2009, 09:11 PM
TYPE R BRAD
Scooby Regular

Area 52 Autosport On-line shop

Just had mine remapped here m8,speak to Jase he is top bloke

Not bad mouthing JGM but he did previous map on my 2000' and the difference between his map and Jase at area 52 in Nottm is tremendous.

Dynod @358/380 previous and now 410/405 and feels like different car,and also get an extra 70 miles to the tank

Like i say JGM has very good rep but the figures cannot lie pal!!

Leave it with you and happy days-Simtek rocks
Old 28 February 2009, 10:34 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TYPE R BRAD

Not bad mouthing JGM but he did previous map on my 2000' and the difference between his map and Jase at area 52 in Nottm is tremendous.

Dynod @358/380 previous and now 410/405 and feels like different car,and also get an extra 70 miles to the tank

Any changes or mods to get those different figures? or was it just a straight remap of the same ecu?
Old 28 February 2009, 11:54 AM
TYPE R BRAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
Any changes or mods to get those different figures? or was it just a straight remap of the same ecu?

Absolutely nothing, just a remap.

I did have a turbo jacket fitted but that is not relavent

Also Jase talks you thouroughly through the plotted graphs on the AFR/torque/bhp
Old 28 February 2009, 12:24 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

Simtek is good i have one, a few problems with cold start and i have heard this from lots of other people who have them to but lots of functions.

If i was to do it again i would go with these guys....

Solaris ECS Forums • Index page

From what i have heard this kicks simtek out the pound, im sure someone will come along soon and say im wrong

Ash
Old 28 February 2009, 12:58 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you sure JGM's figures weren't at the wheels, whilst Area 52's at the flywheel?

Or different rolling roads, air pressure, ambient temps, etc, etc? Also, surely a turbo jacket will help with spool/bhp, due to keeping more heat in the turbine side, etc. Not saying that these reasons would solely account for a 52bhp/25lb ft, but could contribute to the readings...
Old 28 February 2009, 02:04 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

some good figures there then. im guessing its been leaned out alot to give you another 70miles to a tank. Which in turn will give more power. Although there may have been a reason for it being rich. Time will tell. I found jgm to be good and he certainly got the best out if my car.
Old 28 February 2009, 02:50 PM
TYPE R BRAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Are you sure JGM's figures weren't at the wheels, whilst Area 52's at the flywheel?

Or different rolling roads, air pressure, ambient temps, etc, etc? Also, surely a turbo jacket will help with spool/bhp, due to keeping more heat in the turbine side, etc. Not saying that these reasons would solely account for a 52bhp/25lb ft, but could contribute to the readings...
No both readings same day before as was and after Area 52 remapped,sorry maybe i didnt make that clear
All readings on there Dynamix are at flywheel.
Old 28 February 2009, 02:53 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Jolly Green Monster for me everytime
STI RA running a simtek and at 1.5 bar its comfortably over 400/400.
Having some mechanical work done this weekend to headers, earthing etc and then going to let Simon wave 1.8 bar through it
Old 28 February 2009, 08:39 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simtek is good i have one, a few problems with cold start and i have heard this from lots of other people who have them to but lots of functions.

If i was to do it again i would go with these guys....

Solaris ECS Forums • Index page

Ash : If you have cold start issues ask your Simtek installer to look at the cold start. There is no reason why you should have any starting issues, cold or hot. There is so much control there that starting should never be an issue.
I have Simteks on two cars, both start very well but one is exceptional in that it fires as soon as the starter engages.

Pat has demonstrated the Solaris to me and from what I could see on an afternoons demonstration, it is certainly a capable ECU.

From what i have heard this kicks simtek out the pound, im sure someone will come along soon and say im wrong

They are both capable ECUs but the above sounds like rather unintelligent hype. If the Solaris scores over the Simtek in important areas let us hear where and why but it should in any case as it is a clear price level above the Simtek.
Old 28 February 2009, 11:54 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPE R BRAD

optimised on the rollers so will show more numbers as it was previously setup on the road.. often find that road mapped cars don't show off on the rollers.. engine was only just run in when first mapped too..

glad you got a nice result from it though

Simon
Old 01 March 2009, 09:09 AM
pat
Scooby Regular

A few points...

If a Simtek can lock on to the crank and cam signals then it will try to start without much delay. If the engine won't start then it is an indication of one of a few things : a) poor crank/cam signal b) a map problem or c) a car problem.

Option a) does occur at times and swapping out sensors can fix the problem. The signal detection / sensitivity varies between ECU types so some might sync up OK on a marginal sensor whilst others will not.

Option b) is unusual and normally related to a peculiarity of the car. If you use the same starting strategy on 5 cars, all of which have similar spec, and 4 work whilst one does not, yet such a fault is correctable by adjustment of the start strategy, then it's technically a map problem, but the map being mismatched to the car is a car problem.

Option c) sometimes happens when the car itself just doesn't like to start. On Simtek. On the standard ECU. On Autronic. On MoTeC. On any ECU... some cars just don't like to start. Simtek is no panacea, it's no miracle cure, so if the car has never started well then it's unlikely that the ECU swap will bring about a miraculous change; perhaps an improvement though.

Next point re: mappers and cars

It is unlikely, in the extreme, that someone with as much experience as Simon would "get it that wrong" without something else to attribute the change to. This something is perhaps intangible, invisible or simply a change on the car. Consider the following scenario.... a car I mapped previously made 450 BHP, the owner changes something of little consequence to the power but asks for the map to be looked over. This time, though, it struggles to get to 400BHP. Where has the 50BHP gone ? We suspect something mechanical and the owner is advised to keep a close eye on it for anything unusual. Nothing unusual happens and the car returns later for another tweak, yet magically it manages 450BHP again, with NO change to the car since the last mapping session. Cars, just like people, can and do have "off" days... I was fortunate in this case that the owner was a loyal customer, so we saw the drop and return of the power together, but imagine if I'de ONLY seen it when it was having a bad day and another mapper then looked at it when it was back to 450BHP, suddenly they would have been a hero and my name would have been mud.

Whilst I'm not suggesting that Area 52 didn't improve the map, perhaps it should also be considered that Simon got the best out of the car ON THE DAY that it was mapped, and if Simon had been given another opportunity to look at it again, he too would have found some further gains.

Another truism is that map quality is a function of time spent on it. The more time that is spent, the more refined it gets. When someone else picks up a job that has already been started by someone else, they are BUILDING UPON that work, refining, knocking the rough edges off it. Given the same blank sheet of paper, results would not be as good.

Final point : Simtek vs Solaris

They are fundamentally different ECUs addressing a different set of needs and fall within different sectors of the market. I won't pollute this thread by going through this in any further detail here, but if someone is interested then it's something that can be covered in a different thread or on the Solaris Forums.

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 01 March 2009, 01:12 PM
TYPE R BRAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
optimised on the rollers so will show more numbers as it was previously setup on the road.. often find that road mapped cars don't show off on the rollers.. engine was only just run in when first mapped too..

glad you got a nice result from it though

Simon
Simon,

I respect your work and what your saying and must say that the car was very good before remap and was a credit to you.I think i was more glum with the fact only 358bhp was originally made when me and Dean(original owner) thought it was over 400bhp
I should of made it more clear before posting on a forum that i am not by any stretch of the imagination doubting your mapping skills as clearly you are up there with the best in the UK.Like you and Pat (who has mapped 2 of my previous scoobs) said,the rollers and well ran in factor play a huge part in the increase in power

Scott.
Old 01 March 2009, 04:32 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
[I]

Ash : If you have cold start issues ask your Simtek installer to look at the cold start. There is no reason why you should have any starting issues, cold or hot. There is so much control there that starting should never be an issue.
I have Simteks on two cars, both start very well but one is exceptional in that it fires as soon as the starter engages.

Pat has demonstrated the Solaris to me and from what I could see on an afternoons demonstration, it is certainly a capable ECU.

They are both capable ECUs but the above sounds like rather unintelligent hype. If the Solaris scores over the Simtek in important areas let us hear where and why but it should in any case as it is a clear price level above the Simtek.
The car dose start up every time first time but when cold is a little on the off side, nearly every simtek owner i have spoken to has has some issues with this, your lucky

And on the point of the Solaris over Simtek (I have a simtek and im happy) but as said if i did it again id would have the Solaris. After having a talk with someone about the two ecu back to back i made up my mind that the solaris would be better for my needs and could cost if not the same as a simtek a little less.

Mane points for me was it could run a motec screen as well as others, i know we keep on hearing about the screen for the simtek coming but when is this really happing? Launch control and anti lag is free and not a extra you have to pay for. I believe it has a faster processor and all so can log when being mapped what i believe can get you a better end result.

I think it would be great for Pat to put up a back to back report on simtek vs Solaris as he maps both with prices on fitting and mapping.

Ash

Last edited by Going 4 400bhp; 03 March 2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01 March 2009, 05:03 PM
stealthy55
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Going 4 400bhp
The car dose start up every time first time but when cold is a little on the off side, nearly every simtek owner i have spoken to has has some issues with this, your lucky

And on the point of the Solaris over Simtek (I have a simtek and im happy) but as said if i did it again id would have the Solaris. After having a talk with someone about the two ecu back to back i made up my mind that the solaris would be better for my needs and could cost if not the same as a simtek a little less.

Mane points for me was it could run a motec screen as well as others, i know we keep on hearing about the screen for the simtek coming but when is this really happing? Launch control and anti lag is free and not a extra you have to pay for. I believe it has a faster processor and all so can log when being mapped what i believe can get you a better end result.

I think it would be great for Pat to put up a back to back report on simtek vs Solaris as he maps both with prices on fitting and mapping.

Ash
hate to p1ss on your thread but did pat have anything to do with the development of simtek? did pat have anything to do with the development of solaris and finally why would you want to use motec with solaris when solaris is the best? im just curious
Old 01 March 2009, 06:06 PM
steve rally
Scooby Regular

Pat was not involved in the development of SimTek.That was myself and Andy Leech.

Simtek can talk to numerous dash displays including Motec.

SimTek can data log when mapping.
Old 01 March 2009, 06:25 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ash
None of my 50+ customers have reported any such problems, no reason they should with everything to do with start and warm up enrichment all being easy to get at. That and the fact that Steves base maps are very good .
I have no doubt that the Solaris is a very capable ecu, but doubt that it would cost you less fitted and mapped than a SimTek.
Old 01 March 2009, 06:40 PM
stealthy55
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=steve rally;8546737]Pat was not involved in the development of SimTek.That was myself and Andy Leech.

thats what i meant
Old 01 March 2009, 06:46 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartynJ
None of my 50+ customers have reported any such problems, no reason they should with everything to do with start and warm up enrichment all being easy to get at. That and the fact that Steves base maps are very good .
I have no doubt that the Solaris is a very capable ecu, but doubt that it would cost you less fitted and mapped than a SimTek.
Im one of your customers martyn and my cold start/running is crap, when its realy cold it dies after it first fires then will normally run the second time round, and it stutters like hell when its cold. It is spot on when its warm tho apart from the odd missfire. I always put it down to it being 'one of those things' and just learnt to live it it.
Other than that the ecu is spot on.
Old 01 March 2009, 06:51 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for the slight tangent, but whilst we're talking cold start up mapping, I'd just like to thank JGM for mapping my PFC last August. I was worried there'd be problems when we had that ludicrously extreme cold snap 2 weeks back.

But no, the car started fisrt time, everytime, with no smell of 'over enrichment' - and idled perfectly, etc.

My hat goes off to ALL the mappers on here
Old 01 March 2009, 07:22 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!

Originally Posted by P1Drifter
Im one of your customers martyn and my cold start/running is crap, when its realy cold it dies after it first fires then will normally run the second time round, and it stutters like hell when its cold. It is spot on when its warm tho apart from the odd missfire. I always put it down to it being 'one of those things' and just learnt to live it it.
Other than that the ecu is spot on.
Why is this the first I have heard of this, if you are having problems PLEASE feel free to bring it back and we will do our utmost to rectify them. As I am completely unaware of who you are I would like to discuss this off forum so feel free to contact us by phone or by PM asap.
Don't learn to live with anything, I am at work 5 days a week and will carry out any work to rectify your problem FOC at your convenience.

Martyn

Last edited by MartynJ; 01 March 2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01 March 2009, 08:54 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

50 customers all happy yeah

There was a thread some time ago about the cold start on these ecu not being very good, i wish i could b1oody find it now

I did not at one point say the ecu (Simtek) was rubbish or not good, so there is really no need for you to all jump on me.
All i have said is it does not handle warm up very well, you may say it dose but me and alot of others out there know it dose not, as far as i knew it could not run a motec screen but im now hearing it can (would like to hear more on this as id like to run one).

Please read what i first said before saying anything silly, i have a simtek and im happy with it, but if i did it again id have something else (sort of the same way most men feel about there wifes)

Ash

P.s. dose the data log for the simtek work right now? Or dose it crash most of the time?
Old 01 March 2009, 08:57 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stealthy55
hate to p1ss on your thread but did pat have anything to do with the development of simtek? did pat have anything to do with the development of solaris and finally why would you want to use motec with solaris when solaris is the best? im just curious
Im sure Pat will only put up facts, if he dose not steve will be along to say something.

And i want to use the motec screen so what are you on about in your last comment?
Old 01 March 2009, 09:08 PM
steve rally
Scooby Regular

The SimTek "handles" the warm up only as well as the map allows it to.If you want to a):sort out your warm up issues, b):discuss the options for running a screen and c):correctly install the logging option on your lap top,then suggest you e-mail me or call me on 07836 635001 and I will resolve these issues for you.
Old 01 March 2009, 09:12 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steve rally
The SimTek "handles" the warm up only as well as the map allows it to.If you want to a):sort out your warm up issues, b):discuss the options for running a screen and c):correctly install the logging option on your lap top,then suggest you e-mail me or call me on 07836 635001 and I will resolve these issues for you.
Good customer services, Ill call you tomorrow.
Old 01 March 2009, 09:26 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

50 customers all happy yeah
What did the great man say, "You can please some of the people some of the time !"

I have offered to rectify this SimTek owners problems FOC and at his convenience, what more can anyone do ?
Old 01 March 2009, 09:34 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartynJ
What did the great man say, "You can please some of the people some of the time !"

I have offered to rectify this SimTek owners problems FOC and at his convenience, what more can anyone do ?
Martyn i was not having a go at you mate.

I have just spoken to a few people with simtek and they have all said the cold start is not great. Then you come along and say it is and "blam" one of your own customers says it $hit.

It was quite comical i must say

Great customer sevices from u to sort it out as well as i have had from my mapper to sort out mine (Slowboy)
Old 01 March 2009, 10:34 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

i do get the occasional stalling from a cold start. but if i rev it a bit, it stops it from stalling and then drives fine

wiley
Old 01 March 2009, 11:13 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Martyn i was not having a go at you mate.

I have just spoken to a few people with simtek and they have all said the cold start is not great. Then you come along and say it is and "blam" one of your own customers says it $hit.

It was quite comical i must say

Great customer sevices from u to sort it out as well as i have had from my mapper to sort out mine (Slowboy)

I know you weren't having a pop m8, and good on ya.
Cold start and warm up strategies as we have said are infinately adjustable and there shouldn't be any problem that can't be sorted.

Quick Reply: Simtek