Notices

What exhaust/backbox for a bugeye?

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2009, 05:34 PM
marko72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What exhaust/backbox for a bugeye?

hi.

just bought a my02 bugeye wrx in standard form. I would like to upgrade the exhaust for the look and the sound. i also really want to know if there is really any real difference in power gained by changing the backbox or catback system. spoke to one company who stated it would only be really noticable if i changed the exhaust from turbo back etc. So i am looking for something not too loud, maybe a 3.5" or 4" look, so if anyone has any advice or suggestions then that would be great.

cheers!

Oh, one other thing, does a dump valve really do anything in terms of noticeable power when driving or is it just the sound u get.

Ta mucho!
Old 11 March 2009, 05:45 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

dumpvalve makes no difference to power.

as for backbox look at 'my garage' STi Genome looks and sounds awsome.. you wont get much if any extra power from just a back box or cat back system, as youve been told gains are found when you go for a full turbo back system,then with a remap is where youll get the most.

ive gone for a full turbo back decat and ecutek remap and my car went from a standard 215bhp to 255bhp
Old 11 March 2009, 08:47 PM
phil08
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had your same dilema last few weeks but decided on scoobyworld afterburner up-pipe,ninja 100 cell sports cat down, de-cat centre, resonated pipe and then a racebox back box....I initially thought it was loud but in reality after a week of bedding in its no louder on tick over then standard with the classic subaru noise coming to life abit more when prodding the throttle...the turbo whistle is also louder.

The car was rolling roaded at 248bhp with 215 ft/lbs STANDARD and then after the exhaust and an ecutek remap it made 281bhp with 254 ft/lbs which i'm more then happy with.

My advice is pop if you can to scoobyworld where they will fit any of their exhaust systems free of charge so you can listen and decide which one you want or trawl youtube for sound clips...I went for a system known to be on the quiet side which i'm glad I did as it 'sounds' like a subaru should without being in your face.

With regards to the dumpvalve........spend your money on better brakes or a service!

Last edited by phil08; 11 March 2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 15 March 2009, 11:46 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

I have a Sti Genome for sale. I want £175 + postage for it. Check the for sale section