Notices

holding back and juddering

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2009, 06:21 PM
fireblade37
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default holding back and juddering

Strange thing happened today, drove for around 10miles all was normal, left the car running for 5-10 mins whilst in the shop then jumped back in and drove off. As i pulled away i gave it a bit of throttle more than usual so to beat the lights. Now the car runs like a bag of ****e, holds back, stutters and judders in all gears. Well, parked it on the drive and went back to it within 20mins,,, now runs fine Didn't go to far in it as i thought the worst might happen. Checked codes and nothing showing. Also noticed the odd pop whilst ticking over, doesn't usually do that. Could it be the fuel pump (walbro 4years old)?? MY00 uk classic

Thanks
Old 18 March 2009, 09:24 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I was told that an Impreza engine is at its most vunerable if you boot it after its been sat idling and hot. The IC is hot, the intake temps are up and will take a mile or two to come down again.

If it seems ok now perhaps the ECU wasn't happy about something and was trying to protect the engine.
Old 18 March 2009, 09:58 PM
fireblade37
Scooby Regular

Hi,,, it has a front mount etc etc and mapped. Its never missed a beat in 5 years. God knows, i think it may be the fuel pump. Do fuel pumps fail usually within four and a half years.

Cheers
Old 19 March 2009, 10:58 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Please don't take this the wrong way and I say this in all sincerity and with good intentions, but .....Why would you want to leave a car idling for up to ten minutes whilst you were in the shops? Apart from it potentially being an traffic offence if you left the vehicle unattended with the motor running, you are needlessly wasting fuel, causing unnecessary emissions and wear and tear on your engine for no good purpose. Sorry if this sounds like a lecture but I have your best interests at heart. Anyway, hope your car's sorted now and running OK - as a I know it's not nice when the car acts wierd for a while and you begin to fear the worst. Stay safe.