Notices

my first impreza do's and dont's

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2009, 06:00 PM
Stuart Panda
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question my first impreza do's and dont's

hello there. i have just bought my first scooby. its a v3 sti fresh jap import. im very happy with the car. can anyone give my advice adout the do's and dont's. best types of oil to use and wot to watch out for. the check engine light comes on when to aftermarket piller mounted water temp gauge goes over 80 and the goes of just under 75. is this something i should be worried about.

thanks
Old 30 March 2009, 06:08 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

No sure about your problem, advice i can give you though is always, and i mean always without fail, warm your engine up good before driving hard. After those hard drives it is just as important to let the car run down on idle a few minutes before you turn off the engine.
Old 30 March 2009, 10:56 PM
Stuart Panda
Scooby Newbie

Question

cheers, iv been using the turbo timer for the run down. i made the mistake of turning it off just after giving it a wee bit of stick on the road. wasnt thinking. after turning it off there was bit of smoke comin from the right hand side of the bonnet. i panniced thinkin i had blown it. on inspection i couldnt see the source of the smoke, it smelld a bit of burnt oil. cant besure but could it hav come from the turbo. also the antilock brake light is on the dash, could hav been on when i bought it as there is a gauge in the way. is it the sensor. im needin as much info as i can get. dont want to knacker the car this early.

thanks alot
Old 30 March 2009, 11:11 PM
New_scooby_04

Guide to happy, trouble free Impreza ownership.

1) Don't thrash it everywhere - drive it like a rally car - it will break!
2) Similarly, have some mechanical sympathy: no giving it the beans until the oil is up to temp and don't switch the engine off straight after a hard drive.
3) Use the best quality consumables i.e. V Power petrol or Tesco 99RON; it's a performance car with active knock control, it likes good petrol! Same goes for Oil, best quality fully synth i.e. Ester based oil e.g. Silkolene Pro S. Costs a few quid more, but it's the life blood of your engine, why compromise?
4) Service it on time and in accordance with Subaru's schedule
5) If you're going to modify it, don't be tempted to do it on the cheap, consult the experts and be prepared to pay for a professional job that will be reliable and give you solid gains!
6) Enjoy it!

Ns04
Old 31 March 2009, 03:05 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Stuart Panda;8610672]hello there. i have just bought my first scooby. its a v3 sti fresh jap import. im very happy with the car. can anyone give my advice adout the do's and dont's. best types of oil to use and wot to watch out for. the check engine light comes on when to aftermarket piller mounted water temp gauge goes over 80 and the goes of just under 75. is this something i should be worried about.

thanks[QUOTE]

Firstly welcome

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Guide to happy, trouble free Impreza ownership.

1) Don't thrash it everywhere - drive it like a rally car - it will break!
2) Similarly, have some mechanical sympathy: no giving it the beans until the oil is up to temp and don't switch the engine off straight after a hard drive.
3) Use the best quality consumables i.e. V Power petrol or Tesco 99RON; it's a performance car with active knock control, it likes good petrol! Same goes for Oil, best quality fully synth i.e. Ester based oil e.g. Silkolene Pro S. Costs a few quid more, but it's the life blood of your engine, why compromise?
4) Service it on time and in accordance with Subaru's schedule
5) If you're going to modify it, don't be tempted to do it on the cheap, consult the experts and be prepared to pay for a professional job that will be reliable and give you solid gains!
6) Enjoy it!

Ns04
I totally agree with AOTA, good advice Ns04(is it just me or does that sound like something out of a spy movie)) 6 and 1, Enjoy and dont 'drive it like ya stole it'.

As for the CEL coinciding with the Temp guage that seems strange. The CEL is never a good light!! Is it a private or trade buy?

It's a very steep learning curve, from N/A to turbo and the 'idiosyncrasies' of a Scoob (godda luv'em) and their owners lots of reading and research, if your a mech minded person even better

Last edited by Glowplug; 31 March 2009 at 03:16 AM.
Old 31 March 2009, 04:21 AM
shiftyoldscoob
Scooby Regular

All scoobs are notorious for oil leaks from the drivers side rocker cover. I bought a new gasket and sealed it with a smear of hylomar, job done!

Enjoy the car mate!
Old 31 March 2009, 07:13 PM
Stuart Panda
Scooby Newbie

Smile

thanks for the replys. ill check out the rocker cover buddy. i had a look under the car today and saw a little smoke coming from a small hole in the front cat cover. my mate who had a scooby and is pretty clued up on them is gona have alook at it with me on sat. CEL is a total mistery to me, the temp dosnt go over 87 88 so i dont think its overheating. does any1 think geting it on a diagnostic computer mite help find the answer. i bought the car from a trade centre b13bat to answer ur question. thank for the input, keep it coming. im hooked to the scoobys.

cheers

Trending Topics

Old 31 March 2009, 07:31 PM
P555SBR
Scooby Regular

with regaurds to your cel light problem the first thing i would do is check to see if you have any error codes all the info on how to do it is hear JollyGreenMonster.co.uk it also tells you what codes relate to what problem you may have