Notices

Cold running issues

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2009, 07:17 PM
scooby4181
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold running issues

Hi,i have had cold running issues for a while now,and it is really starting to p**s me off,car is an MY98 uk turbo with coil pack in centre of inlet manifold,reading up on here,i have changed the maf,water temp sensor,lambda sensor,but it has not made any difference.
The symptoms are as follows,when starting the car from cold,it fires up fine,and idles fine,but when in transit,there is a hesitation untill car has wamed up.
I have only changed the maf this weekend,which has improved things a little,before the maf change,car would start and idle fine,but when in transit up to 3000 rpm would be fine,anything beyond that and engine check light would flash briefly,and car would be very hesitant,again once warmed up,would be fine.
The car has an apexi ecu,the next thing i was going to look at was spark plugs,but tonight i pulled off each ht lead in turn to see if it was sparking ok.Three of them were fine but one was very weak.See picture below

Can anyone shed any light on this,could the coil pack be knackered ?
Old 30 March 2009, 08:18 PM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

scarey how often somwone posts the same isue as I'm having...
poor running till water temp reaches 50 degrees approx (apexi ECU too with commander)

I tried adjusting teh ignition and injection to see if it would make any difference
it did: it was better with more fuelling at cold temps (via the water temperature screeen adjust)
anyway, it still didnt get it fully sorted, but today ...it was back to running fine when cold!

no idea what the problem is, but until today it been <5 degrees outside temperature ....today it was 7 degrees

curious...but I aint gonna dwell on it!
Old 31 March 2009, 07:31 AM
scooby4181
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 31 March 2009, 07:49 AM
first ever scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby4181
Hi,i have had cold running issues for a while now,and it is really starting to p**s me off,car is an MY98 uk turbo with coil pack in centre of inlet manifold,reading up on here,i have changed the maf,water temp sensor,lambda sensor,but it has not made any difference.
The symptoms are as follows,when starting the car from cold,it fires up fine,and idles fine,but when in transit,there is a hesitation untill car has wamed up.
I have only changed the maf this weekend,which has improved things a little,before the maf change,car would start and idle fine,but when in transit up to 3000 rpm would be fine,anything beyond that and engine check light would flash briefly,and car would be very hesitant,again once warmed up,would be fine.
The car has an apexi ecu,the next thing i was going to look at was spark plugs,but tonight i pulled off each ht lead in turn to see if it was sparking ok.Three of them were fine but one was very weak.See picture below

Can anyone shed any light on this,could the coil pack be knackered ?
you shouldn't really be running beyond 3k when cold as your turbo will be almost on full boost with cold oil. i've done it once and i get the same issue. apparently half the problem is when you're fully de-catted as air flow is different until everything is warm. i always allow mine to warm enough so that the needle just starts moving off the cold and even then, i don't go past 2k until its fully warm. this makes a huge difference, trust me. most of the roads i use in the morning are 30mph and you can quite easily do that in 4th at 2k.
Old 31 March 2009, 08:38 PM
scooby4181
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies guys,but anyone shed any light on the spark issue ?
Old 01 April 2009, 07:15 AM
scooby4181
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 02 April 2009, 08:46 PM
scooby4181
Scooby Regular

please anyone help !!!!!!
Old 07 April 2009, 09:58 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

According to the service manual there are two physical coils and two inputs from the ECU - one is shared by cyls 1 & 2, and the other by 3 & 4. (Check around page 178 of the service manual .pdf - google "1997-1998_impreza.pdf" if you don't already have it).

That suggests to me it's unlikely you have a fault with the coil pack itself, the ignitor (transistor module) or the ECU if it's just one weak spark out of four - I'd replace the HT leads first. Try swapping a couple of them round, that'll soon tell you if one of them is faulty.