Notices

Removing air con switch from P1

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2009, 09:58 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Removing air con switch from P1

Just bought myself a P1 and found that, although the a/c works fine, the little green light in the switch doesn't work.

I have a replacement bulb and I've managed to get the plug out of the back of the a/c switch by removing the radio. What I can't figure out is how to get the switch itself out so I can get at the bulb.

There's a little tab at the top of the switch, which I can see through the slot for the fan speed control, but even though I can get a screwdriver to it, lifting it up doesn't release the switch. In fact the switch still feels quite firmly attached to the panel.

Any clues on how to get the switch out please? If I have to remove great chunks of the centre console, could someone point me towards an idiots' guide please?

Ta
Andy
Old 31 March 2009, 12:45 AM
rezaP1
Scooby Regular

Andy

This might help a little taken from p1woc for you :

"Just taken it all apart and found the blown bulb.

For those wanting to do the same above...

You need to remove the radio, unscrew the handbrake surround and remove that, then up pop the gear gaiter cover (you don't need to take off the gear ****, you can just twist the gaiter round, and put the car into fourth), pull out the centre surround (you can't get it out without removing the handbrake and gear gaiter surrounds as the bottom wont come out), then remove the screws holding in the glove box, and knee roll on drivers side and pull those down, disconnecting wires and plugs... then unscrew all the retaining screws from the centre console (from insde where the radio would sit) which contains the aircon unit - and it should come out. You don't need to disconnect the switch gear which moves the various vents open and closed - the control unit will twist over if you're careful) - but you do have to take the surround out from in front of it as you can't just pull it down) - but easiest to unclip the wiring harness. Then the switch from the aircon can be pulled out from behind - there's a white plastic clip which you have to push down with a screw driver - and you can lever it out - make sure you don't drop the actual switch part (the bit you can see and push from sitting in the car (as it falls out like mine did - in to the centre!)

The bulb holder is a green circular bit of plastic which you can unscrew and it has a small bulb in it - with a green plastic/rubber sheath (to give it the green colour...) "
Old 31 March 2009, 07:45 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

there's a white plastic clip which you have to push down with a screw driver
That could be what I did wrong - I was trying to lift it up!!

Can't say I fancy pulling half the dash out to get to the switch, but if the radio has to come out anyway I'll have another go at keyhole surgery through that opening first.

Cheers
Andy
Old 31 March 2009, 10:00 PM
rezaP1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Can't say I fancy pulling half the dash out to get to the switch

exact reason i havent fixed mine ... yet