Anyone know where to find the crash sensor module

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2009, 06:43 PM
philr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know where to find the crash sensor module

hello
anyone know where to find the crash sensor module on a subaru impreza 1998 turbo. cheers
Old 31 March 2009, 08:27 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

I believe it is behind the resonator on the drivers side inner wing.
Old 31 March 2009, 09:10 PM
philr
Scooby Regular

cheers
can you get to it or does the wing need to come off, whats resonator?
Old 01 April 2009, 03:57 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Take the plastic splash gaurds of under the wheel arch and there is a yellow wire protector which should lead you to the part. No need to take the wing off. Resonator is part of the induction system.
Old 01 April 2009, 04:27 PM
philr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JONNY_693
Take the plastic splash gaurds of under the wheel arch and there is a yellow wire protector which should lead you to the part. No need to take the wing off. Resonator is part of the induction system.
nice one mate cheers, got a bad positive connection on either the airbags which i have been through, the crash module or srs, airbag light keeps coming on.
Old 05 April 2009, 10:12 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

check this link for recalls - had this on my Legacy the AIRBAG light was on since I bought the car and as long as the previous owner had it (most of it's life). I changed the module in the steering wheel for a known good one (with bolts marked with white paint as in the article) and it is now fixed.

hope that helps
Old 06 April 2009, 02:02 PM
philr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by arumdevil
check this link for recalls - had this on my Legacy the AIRBAG light was on since I bought the car and as long as the previous owner had it (most of it's life). I changed the module in the steering wheel for a known good one (with bolts marked with white paint as in the article) and it is now fixed.

hope that helps
thanks for that, it says excluding turbo models and also mine has a PASSENGER SIDE AIR BAG, hope so anyway, the vin gas got gc8 in it though, so slightly confused, that would be great going down a pot hole or beeping the horn and the airbag goes off
Old 06 April 2009, 02:14 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

I saw that but I think the wording is slightly confusing (I'm guessing it's translated from japanese as these were JDM recalls in japan). I think what they are saying is this only applies to vehicles without a passenger's side airbag - EXCEPT in the turbo models where it applies to them as well. I could be wrong though but it might be worth checking it out - perhaps try a known working one in your car and see if it fixes the problem.

It's not that hard to change it once you have a replacement - you just need one or two of those 'tamper-proof' torx bits (handily supplied by those nice folk at halfrauds in my socket set ) and remember to dosconnect the battery and leave it for a while so as not to accidentally set off the airbag.
Old 06 April 2009, 04:05 PM
philr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by arumdevil
I saw that but I think the wording is slightly confusing (I'm guessing it's translated from japanese as these were JDM recalls in japan). I think what they are saying is this only applies to vehicles without a passenger's side airbag - EXCEPT in the turbo models where it applies to them as well. I could be wrong though but it might be worth checking it out - perhaps try a known working one in your car and see if it fixes the problem.

It's not that hard to change it once you have a replacement - you just need one or two of those 'tamper-proof' torx bits (handily supplied by those nice folk at halfrauds in my socket set ) and remember to dosconnect the battery and leave it for a while so as not to accidentally set off the airbag.
I hear what your saying mate, the airbag light keeps going on after driving a short distance, if i stopped the car engine and restarted it, the light goes off, i have checked every connection in the system, but have not tried a different airbag, i have took the bulb out of the dash so it stops annoying me, the car has a full service history with subaru until the last couple of years and if that was the case subaru should of changed it, going to keep my fingers crossed, if i ever do come accross a cheap airbag i will definatly give it a try. Thanks for your help, cheers phil
Old 06 April 2009, 09:59 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

Ah, ok. I didn't realise the light was coming on intermittently. Mine was on all the time from the moment the ignition was turned on to the moment it was turned off - so it sounds like your problem is not related to that recall. In any case the airbag controller module is in the steering wheel under the airbag so you'll still want to check it out and perhaps try a known good one in there.