Notices

head gasket blown

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2009, 09:05 PM
Importnights
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy head gasket blown

iv got a 95 gc8 wrx, just got it to about 320 bhp mark and now its blown the head gasket. could anyone tell me what is the best head gaskets to buy for it and where to get these from. stripping down engine tomorrow. thanks dan
Old 22 April 2009, 10:52 PM
friendlynortherner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Importnights
iv got a 95 gc8 wrx, just got it to about 320 bhp mark and now its blown the head gasket. could anyone tell me what is the best head gaskets to buy for it and where to get these from. stripping down engine tomorrow. thanks dan
EEEkkk, mines seeping but I am not able to do it myself so looking at 700 quids hence also looking at it sitting on the drive for now ...Assuming your competant I think peeps go for an uprated Sti gasket, graham goodes or similiar performace outlet. I am sure someone will come along and advise..Hit the search plenty of into on there
Old 22 April 2009, 11:35 PM
legacytt
Scooby Regular

ive heard of cometic head gaskets there around £90 each quite a few sellers on the net or ebay.

Last edited by legacytt; 22 April 2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 22 April 2009, 11:47 PM
legacytt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by friendlynortherner
EEEkkk, mines seeping but I am not able to do it myself so looking at 700 quids hence also looking at it sitting on the drive for now ...Assuming your competant I think peeps go for an uprated Sti gasket, graham goodes or similiar performace outlet. I am sure someone will come along and advise..Hit the search plenty of into on there
dont worry mate there will be a few when the time comes will have to sit and wait till we have saved up the pennies if the engine is being taken out by whoever does it they will change the seals and rocker gaskets anyway i would think if it were me i would also change oil pump and water pump at the same time then thats all corners dealt with engine wise although not including bottom end.

Last edited by legacytt; 22 April 2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 25 April 2009, 03:24 PM
Importnights
Scooby Regular

sorry it took me so long to reply, been very busy with work and stripping down the scoob, got engine out and inlet and exhaust manifold off and turbo. bought a new down pipe and manifold at the same time as my new steel head gaskets all from the guys at roger clark motorsport. they provided an a+ service for me was well impressed. i just need to find out what torque settings and order to do my heads now. cheers dan
Old 25 April 2009, 06:37 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The std WRX MY93-96 v.1/2 gaskets are a composite fibre material and aren't as strong as the STi metal ones in "keeping a lid on things" .

API use the STi v.1-4 ones and RCM stock them too. Zen use steel Cosworth items (as they did on my engine). Also, as mentioned, are the Cometic metal ones.

Basically they all are much of a muchness and retail for around £90-110 for the pair. You will need the thick 1.6mm ones for a 1995 motor.

Old 26 April 2009, 01:11 AM
friendlynortherner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legacytt
dont worry mate there will be a few when the time comes will have to sit and wait till we have saved up the pennies if the engine is being taken out by whoever does it they will change the seals and rocker gaskets anyway i would think if it were me i would also change oil pump and water pump at the same time then thats all corners dealt with engine wise although not including bottom end.
It would be ok if I was keeping her but its being passed onto family hence why I checked everything out properly before handing it over as I have a new toy. Yep I suppose seeing it sitting for a while comes with the territory, cant financially support big jobs like that now..

By the way if JOZ has gone for a cometic HG then I would definately go for that..
Old 26 April 2009, 10:48 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by friendlynortherner
...By the way if JOZ has gone for a cometic HG then I would definately go for that..
Mine's actually got the Cosworth MLS gaskets - as supplied and fitted by Zen. But, as I say, Cosworth/Cometic/STi, etc. metal gaskets are all pretty much as good as each other.

The lesson here is always upgrade to metal HGs, and don't use the WRX spec composite fibre ones!