Notices

Bonnet popping open!?!

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2009, 05:12 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bonnet popping open!?!

Was tinkering under the bonnet today and closed it in my usual careful manner (the metals so thin on these I think it'll bend just looking at it wrong!).
Went out for a little testr drive and after the first loud pedal moment the bonnet sprung up on it's safety catch
Pulled over and went to investigate. All I could see that might be getting in the way was my bonnet stay/support thingy. It was really wobbly like it wasn't in right. I tried my damnedest to get it back in solid and closed the bonnet a bit harder. 2 mins down the road the bonnet popped open again.
This time I pulled it out completely and slammed the bonnet closed, much harder than I've ever had to before and it stayed closed all the way home, even with a bit of nervous provocation.
If that had happened at motorway speed it could have not been stopped by the safety catch and come right over

When you close your bonnet does it sound like it's pressing against anything?

Matt
Old 23 April 2009, 07:23 PM
rewindnottm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
Was tinkering under the bonnet today and closed it in my usual careful manner (the metals so thin on these I think it'll bend just looking at it wrong!).
Went out for a little testr drive and after the first loud pedal moment the bonnet sprung up on it's safety catch
Pulled over and went to investigate. All I could see that might be getting in the way was my bonnet stay/support thingy. It was really wobbly like it wasn't in right. I tried my damnedest to get it back in solid and closed the bonnet a bit harder. 2 mins down the road the bonnet popped open again.
This time I pulled it out completely and slammed the bonnet closed, much harder than I've ever had to before and it stayed closed all the way home, even with a bit of nervous provocation.
If that had happened at motorway speed it could have not been stopped by the safety catch and come right over

When you close your bonnet does it sound like it's pressing against anything?

Matt
DO NOT DRIVE IT..

I had the same issue on my 06 WRX it was the cable trapped so i went to drive it to area52 motorsport and guess what! it completely flipped up on me at 20mph .Subaru said it was because i had an cold air induction kit fitted so wasn't covered on the warranty (RUBBISH).. it was a faulty latch which is very common as area52 had there own car in there garage that had the bonnet flipped up at 80MPH!!! ..

one CF bonnet and two new wings later, all is well. i now have bonnet pins.... its not happening to me again!
Old 23 April 2009, 07:29 PM
999wrx
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a very good excuse to fit some bonnet pins!
Old 23 April 2009, 10:47 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rewindnottm
DO NOT DRIVE IT..

I had the same issue on my 06 WRX it was the cable trapped so i went to drive it to area52 motorsport and guess what! it completely flipped up on me at 20mph .Subaru said it was because i had an cold air induction kit fitted so wasn't covered on the warranty (RUBBISH).. it was a faulty latch which is very common as area52 had there own car in there garage that had the bonnet flipped up at 80MPH!!! ..

one CF bonnet and two new wings later, all is well. i now have bonnet pins.... its not happening to me again!
Crikey, that's put the wind up me!
I've got a CAI too but obviously mines well out of warranty anyway.
Was it an easy fix?
Old 23 April 2009, 10:50 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I have had mine not shut properly on me, a quick clean of the latch by RCM with the hose, etc and it was fine.
Old 23 April 2009, 10:56 PM
fasterdad
Scooby Regular

must be something wrong in the design, mine is a real pain to shut and I dont trust it to not open!!!!
Old 24 April 2009, 09:56 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I think I'll have a close look at it today, check the cable (and have someone pull the release whilst I'm watching it - bit difficult to to that on your own ). Maybe attack the cable with WD40 and the bonnet catch with some grease.
Really has got me worried though, don't particularly want bonnet pins but I don't want to worry the bonnets going to come loose everytime I drive it.
Funds are so tight at the moment I can't afford a big repair bill either.

Trending Topics

Old 26 April 2009, 07:59 PM
Smudge46
Scooby Regular

When i bought my 03 sti nearly a year ago I had a problem trying to close the bonnet. It just wouldn't lock shut properly. It would lock onto the second lock where the bonnet moves a little but it wouldn't engage properly.
After a little investigation I found that it was just the mechanism was clogged up with oil & dirt! I just unscrewed it and gave it a good scrub with a toothbrush to get all the scummy, thick oil deposit off of the spring. When I put it back on it shut properly straight away.
It might be worth checking to see if this is the same for you.

Last edited by Smudge46; 26 April 2009 at 08:01 PM.