Notices

Running on gas??

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2009, 06:33 PM
carl 00
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running on gas??

Does anyone run there impreza on gas? Is there any pros con's to it? Just a thought.
Old 23 April 2009, 06:40 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

my mate fordrsrick runs his sti on gas, give him a pm for some details i know he says its only really any good if you just want to cruise along (motorways etc) not too keen when you nail it.
Old 23 April 2009, 07:17 PM
carl 00
Scooby Regular

Cool cheers
Old 23 April 2009, 08:25 PM
Green Classic 98
Scooby Regular

Have a look at Scooby LPG

Also thread on here by welloilbeefhooked
Old 25 April 2009, 09:53 AM
chart pattern
Scooby Newbie

Hi Carl,

I run an 06 WRX wagon on gas, have done for 15months now.

I do approx 25000miles pa and whilst Subaru were paying for the fuel via their voucher scheme this was no problem; then i ran out, couldn't sell it and didn't want to so was kind of commited. I wanted and had a fast 4wd hatch for work and the 06 was ideal - although admitedly i had underestimated the real cost of petrol on this mileage!!.

Did some research and went down the road that some would see as a heinous crime, i had it converted by a thorough professional and out & out gas enthusiast, Tony at Autogas Sport, Ketley.

It cost me £1650 incl for a conversion with flash lube system (reclaimed the vat). In December 07, my last month of entirely petrol, my fuel bill was £480. Conversion in January 08. February 08 fuel bill £180!!!, a saving of £300, so in roughly 6 months I am ahead. Happily, I missed all the nonsense of the very high fuel prices last summer and never paid more than 50p/litre for gas.

Good for me;

advantages.....and disadvantages

If you are a relatively high mileage driver you will recoup your money fairly quickly, if you are a low mileage driver then you will have to do the calculation for yourself.

My system always starts on petrol and after approx a mile just transfers to gas, apart from a small click you wouldn't know. For general driving/grind to work etc etc there is no real difference so i stay in gas. If you want an aggressive acceleration, gas will not really cut it; mine dives back into petrol at around 4000rpm and this is noticeable. I have learnt to anticipate any power acceleration, push the button to go from gas mode to petrol mode, overtake/play whatever, and then push it again to go back into gas mode. This works very well for me, essentially i use the petrol as a boost when necessary. (Pushing the button in this way, there is no noticeable change). I should say that with steady acceleration, gas will cop well, allbeit not quite as fast as petrol, and i have had it up to 112mph (airfield) before gas couldn't cope.

There is extra weight - tank and gas. My tank is in the wheel well and takes approx 55l gas, so total additional weight approx extra 50kg; also where do you put your spare - only an issue if like me you carry equipment in the boot.

Servicing costs - so far nil

You do get a small (£15!!!) reduction in your roadtax; i was one of those caught by Gordon's budget announcement in April 07 backdating the extra tax to March 06 so I paid £385 this year.

Summary - if you are a relative high mileage driver, are not looking to cane it all the time, want to keep the vehicle and are prepared to accept a slight reduction in power then gas may be for you. With a good conversion (cheap ones are just that, and rubbish), you do not lose 20% power and do not have only 80% or the range. 55l of gas goes just as far as a tank or petrol, its just that i only need a tank of petrol every 6-8 weeks.

My only problem is that the wrx wagon isn't really big enough for all my kit, so am looking for a Forester sti, which i would probably convert as well. Drop me a pm if you have any questions, I am no expert, but experience may help.
Old 25 April 2009, 06:40 PM
carl 00
Scooby Regular

My god i don't think i could asked for a more detailed reply, Thank you i only drive the girl on weekends so don't realy think it would benifit me. I have a work van for my week driving. Really appreciate you taking the time!!