Notices

Radiator hose blown. Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2009, 10:59 PM
Classic_Marc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator hose blown. Help please!

Driving today my top radiator hose blew on my99 uk turbo. At first I thought it was the headgasket when the steam was pouring out of the bonnet. So pulled over and noticed the hose had a big split in it.

I phoned the AA and they were with me within 30 mins. He had a look as said the hose was to damaged to tempory fix it. The bloke took the hose off and it was completely perished all along the inside. He asked me to phone my nearest Subaru garage (cvc Cardiff) to see if they had the hose in stock. He was going to take me there to pick it up and then bring me back and fit it. Which I thought was brilliant! Atleast a 20 mile round trip! Had no idea they did that sort of thing. Unfortunately they didn't have one. So got a tow home at 20mph.

Should I be worried about engine damage?? The temp gauge only went slightly above the normal after it happend so don't think anything got too hot.

I'm going to order a new hose tomorrow from Subaru. Can somebody tell me what sort of coolant/anti-freeze I should use when I fit the new hose and what procedure I should follow when refilling the coolant. I'm a bit of a novice.

Any help would be brilliant.

Thanks, Marc
Old 23 April 2009, 11:42 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this happened to me on my old scooby. mine overheated a bit too. no damage was done to mine.
if you have only lost a bit of coolant you may get away with topping up with water.
however you may as well take the opportunity to drain, flush and fill with nice fresh coolant.

take off the bottom rad hose. drain fluid. disconnect hose to expansion tank by battery. drain fluid.
take off top rad hose. clean out rad and block with hose pipe.
connect bottom hose. connect hise by battery
use a funel and a bit of hose pipe to fill the system with 50/50 coolant and water . I used halfords coolant, some might argue this is not the right stuff but its fine for me!.
fill the rad side first then the block side. fill VERY slowley.
connect top hose.
top up header tank.
top up expansion bottle by battery.
run engine up to temp with header tank cap off or untill coolant starts to overflow.
put cap on.
job done
Old 23 April 2009, 11:44 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh, put fans on hot and full cabin.
Old 24 April 2009, 02:17 PM
Classic_Marc
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your reply it's going to help alot! Part will be at subaru tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 25 April 2009, 06:37 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

You should be ok its happened to me this week and just ordered a new pipe luckilly the AA man fixed mine as the rear clip cut the pipe.

Flat4 online do a 8 piece coolant set for £96 inc del or you can get samco or forge hose set for £130+
Camskill sell the std hose for £24 inc p&p

just done mine and followed the instructions by dj219957 and worked a treat I was a bit worried when fitting my pipe as i forgot to attach the maf sensor back up and the check engine was on mind you I had run out of light. lol

Last edited by ScoobyNudge; 29 April 2009 at 07:51 PM.