Notices

Silly Q, do newage ECU's 'adapt' to driving style

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2009, 09:10 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Silly Q, do newage ECU's 'adapt' to driving style

Basically, I've noticed that after several days of shortish runs off boost the car doesn't feel as quick when you eventually do give it some. In fact, boost doesn't peak quite as high, ~0.15 bar ish down and performance feels like it lacks some edge..

Same tank of fuel, so not related, just seems to get used to the steady pace and retards..? After a few good runs it's back on song..

Noticed this a few times- the odd occasion it's driven steady for a period of time (ie when the wife does most of the driving around town etc.)

Doesn't happen if it's driven off boost on a longish journey on m'way for instance, quite the opposite, it feels very lively..

It's an unusual one, as in most quick cars, if you've taken it steady for a while you 'forget' how quick they are and the car actually feels faster IYSWIM, just not the scoob..

Scoobs do seem to thrive on hard driving..

Probably a stupid question, but something does change imho..
Old 19 May 2009, 09:25 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Basically, I've noticed that after several days of shortish runs off boost the car doesn't feel as quick when you eventually do give it some. In fact, boost doesn't peak quite as high, ~0.15 bar ish down and performance feels like it lacks some edge..

Same tank of fuel, so not related, just seems to get used to the steady pace and retards..? After a few good runs it's back on song..

Noticed this a few times- the odd occasion it's driven steady for a period of time (ie when the wife does most of the driving around town etc.)

Doesn't happen if it's driven off boost on a longish journey on m'way for instance, quite the opposite, it feels very lively..

It's an unusual one, as in most quick cars, if you've taken it steady for a while you 'forget' how quick they are and the car actually feels faster IYSWIM, just not the scoob..

Scoobs do seem to thrive on hard driving..

its a very good question i dont hammer mine about much because off traffic and motorway driving lst weekend i thought id open her up and boy was she quick the car itself hates slow traffic and poodling about years ago a lad i know had a 2.8 capri he never booted it anywhere and kept taking it bk to the local ford garage saying its not runnin right they said tu him what speed your drivin at i dont take it over 70mph and dont hammer it they said thats your problem then
Old 19 May 2009, 10:21 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
It's a fair enough question but there's only one way to answer it - datalog the diagnostic output and look at the figures. You'll soon spot any differences, espeicially in things like boost threshold and ignition advance multiplier.
Old 19 May 2009, 10:33 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

There's nothing in the ECU logic that I know of that will affect the performance by taking it easy. (assuming all is well with your car in the first place, i.e your IAM is fine etc.) The petrol and/or atmospheric changes are more likely the culprits. Use your taxtrix cable and the OS Learning View program to check your IAM and FLKC tables.

Last edited by bluenose172; 19 May 2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 20 May 2009, 11:46 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

***LONG REPLY WARNING***

All is well again today after a few good runs through the gears, crackling and popping back on full bore up changes, as well as boost hitting usual peak..

As BN says, possibly 'other' factors, such as atmos pressure, although you'd have thought that yesterday being wetter weather the performance would have been better (ie denser air)..?! Wetter the better..

When I've logged/checked this previously the IAM certainly remains at 16 and the limited knowledge of logging I have, other parameters shows no difference. However, when logging you tend to give it full beans over several runs and as today proves, this always results in things sharpening up anyhow.

I do wonder if it's linked to the shortish runs (~5 miles but always warmed up) without any boost (relatively cold exhaust/turbo etc) resulting in things getting a little 'gunged' up and hard run is required to 'blow' any unburnt fuel residue out..?

Certainly the tail pipe colour changes from a sooty black to a nice brownish (NF) grey..

Anyhow, after my 'test' runs this morning it now seems the clutch is on borrowed time, some major slippage after a quick full bore change into second.. I suppose 47k, with the first 20k at 280/266 and the remainder at 348/330ish isn't too bad.. These damn grippy GYF1A's don't help either..
Old 20 May 2009, 01:10 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

The ecu does "learn" but generally tries to be economical, if you drive like Ms. Daisy the ecu tries to tweak the performance down to save fuel. I got bored with mine for a while a couple of years back and just crawled to work and back for six months.
I reckon it ran so "flat" I couldn't have sold it like that. Then I pulled the battery whilst away on holiday and the ecu must have reset, 'cos when I got back it absolutely flew.

All imho.

dunx
Old 20 May 2009, 01:41 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you drive sedately will it eventually give you 40mpg?
My missus says her Primera always feels better after I've driven it - maybe it's because I actually take it over 3000rpm occasionally!

JohnD
Old 20 May 2009, 04:12 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

That makes sense, I have noticed that the longer you drive off boost MPG continues to improves. Lol, would be interesting to see how 'good' it would get, but I think 40mpg is a tad optimistic..

Would also explain how some people claim 30+mpg, they never use the turbo..
Old 20 May 2009, 04:16 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnD
If you drive sedately will it eventually give you 40mpg?
Not in an million years could I ever get that? I have even drove off boost and at 50mph and still only got 208miles to a tank full that was from brimming it to redlight on for 15 miles.
Old 20 May 2009, 04:56 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

another strange one

I have always found the car to be more responsive just after you fill with fuel, i know others have said this

guess it must be the lighter wallet
Old 20 May 2009, 06:43 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Highest I've ever seen was 30 mpg, not long after 12,000 miles covered, a long boring drive downhill (South) with a tailwind whilst at60 mph.

dunx
Old 20 May 2009, 08:07 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
The ecu does "learn" but generally tries to be economical, if you drive like Ms. Daisy the ecu tries to tweak the performance down to save fuel. I got bored with mine for a while a couple of years back and just crawled to work and back for six months.
I reckon it ran so "flat" I couldn't have sold it like that. Then I pulled the battery whilst away on holiday and the ecu must have reset, 'cos when I got back it absolutely flew.

All imho.

dunx
The ECU logic doesn't do that at all.
Old 20 May 2009, 08:34 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
Not in an million years could I ever get that? I have even drove off boost and at 50mph and still only got 208miles to a tank full that was from brimming it to redlight on for 15 miles.
I didnt know we had a fuel light
Old 20 May 2009, 10:19 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by bluenose172
The ECU logic doesn't do that at all.
So how did I manage 30 mpg, when all I can usually manage is 23 mpg ?

LOL

dunx

P.S. I was even using cr*p quality fuel as I did give it any "beans" !
Old 21 May 2009, 01:44 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Maybe becuase you were taking it easy. Also if you were using crap fuel then your IAM might have dropped and your learned knock table would have had quite a few entries in it, making it feel flat.