After some help, blue smoke wondering what to do

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2009, 06:12 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After some help, blue smoke wondering what to do

Hey all,

Thanks for reading this post. We wondering if anyone could help?

Last week went up to see David and the boys at APi, car was running fine, took it up ther at moderate motorway speeds (don't want to post the actual speed as it might get me in trouble! ) It was a bout an hours driving.

On the way back no issues and then thought I would spend some time and reset my ARB and clear out my catch can for the first time. Went off to get my tyres changed and then boom, white smoke that stunk of oil.

Though, ok maybe some oil from the catch can has fed back into the crankcase so will just let it burn off. 30 mins later and still spewing smelly smoke and can see oil in the exhaust. Stopped the engine and took the FMIC apart and could see a fair amount of oil in the turbo side of the FMIC but none in the engine side. Cleared it all out and then put it back together with no effect.

It does seem to have lost some oil but the water in the engine is still clear so probably not head gasket.

Spoke to David at APi and he think it is probably isn't turbo as it will make noise before it gives out. Would love to get it up to David to diagnose but really struggling with transport up there.

Anyone put me out of my misery?

The weird thing is that when I did have the engine running it was a smooth as normal with no weird noises or knocking.

Thanks for reading and if anyone can help then great or if anyone knows anyone in Middlesex who might be able to help I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 21 May 2009, 06:45 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was ok before you cleaned the catch can out - i would look at that first, hoses etc.

Mick
Old 21 May 2009, 06:58 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Hey mate,

Thanks for that. I checked the tubes connecting the catch can to the crankcase and there doesn't seem to be any oil in either connection but should probably check again. I left the engine running for some time (more than 30 mins) and there was still oil in the exhaust which is what makes me think something more serious is gone.

I really need to take the FMIC off again and have another look but haven't got round to it. It is on my list of things to do......

Just wanted to know if anyone else had some experience. The last thing I need now is a massive bill for an engine rebuild but can't sell the car in the current state. I have invested far too much for that!

Originally Posted by merlin24
If it was ok before you cleaned the catch can out - i would look at that first, hoses etc.

Mick
Old 21 May 2009, 08:06 PM
WMS
Scooby Regular

Get a compression test done, if it is a bottom end/piston problem it will show up with the comp test, it will save you time and money, if it isn't something obvious.
There's plenty of 'experts' on here that will tell you it's the turbo or various other things!
Old 22 May 2009, 06:30 AM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

I will make sure it is the first thing they check! Is this something I can do or is it too involved?

Originally Posted by WMS
Get a compression test done, if it is a bottom end/piston problem it will show up with the comp test, it will save you time and money, if it isn't something obvious.
There's plenty of 'experts' on here that will tell you it's the turbo or various other things!