Notices

misfire sti 1994

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2009, 09:04 PM
jay81jay
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misfire sti 1994

Have a miss on one of my subaru's (WRX STi - 4 door GC8), which happens about 6k rpm.

My question is: should there be a washer/spacer BETWEEN the cam sensor and its mount on a GC8 4 door WRX STi? and NOT one on a 2 door version of the same car?

Tried plugs, leads, coil pack all to no avail.

Luckily I have a 2 door WRX STi Type R (GC8) sitting around (as you do ) to swap bits from to check what the problem might be.

Decided to try the cam sensor, and when I took the one off the 2 door, it had no washer between it and the mount, yet the 4 door one did.

I didnt notice this, and bolted the 2 door cam sensor into the 4 door and whirled it over, and the pulley has clouted the sensor

Anyway, managed to find the washer and put it back in, (think I got away with the sensor as it still works but ordered a new one just incase) and the problem remains.

Starting to think the spacer isnt standard and is covering another problem (damaged casing/mount?), and in turn creating a misfire at high revs, as the gap between the sensor and pulley **** is too big? Make sense?

Im going to try 1 washer at a time, hold it in place and get matey to crank the engine (by HAND this time ) and stop adding washers as soon as it clears.

Does any of this make any sense, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any help much appreciated.
Old 21 May 2009, 09:14 PM
tsr_12
Scooby Newbie

Not to sure about the cam sensor, but I had the same missfire proplem on my 95'. after much searching it turned out to be the maff sencer.
Old 21 May 2009, 10:16 PM
jay81jay
Scooby Newbie

ok thank u will check that in the morning