Notices

Need advice, please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2009, 10:29 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice, please help!!!

Ok bought a 97 Type R had the bottom end rebuilt and ran the engine in, its had its oil change and been driven hard a few times.

Everything was going fine until tonight!

Just driving along quite happily until a car was trying to get into my boot so I put my foot down and then it felt like I had hit a brick wall! all power went then it came back and off I went. Car then felt like it wasn't as quick when I drove it home.

What happened and what could be wrong

Mods are decat downpipe, headers and Apexi exhaust box.
Old 11 June 2009, 10:47 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a fueling issue or possibly spark. get your fault memories checked if you can? did the car have low fuel? how long have you been running the new bottom end? (miles) No engine or warning lights come on at all did they??
Old 11 June 2009, 10:49 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

Most likely Its the ECU shutting down fuel I E boost cut, it happens exactly as you have explained when boost over shoots its target. It will need to be corrected asap with the use of a boost controller of some descripton to prevent any further issues.
Old 11 June 2009, 10:57 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ECU applied fuel cut (violent, 'head hitting screen').... and gone into limp-home mode. Is it now only boosting at about 0.5bar? The ECU no doubt done its job and saved your new engine.

Were you low on fuel when you tried to boot it?

Put some decent fuel in the tank and reset the ECU - should get it back to normal.

Last edited by joz8968; 12 June 2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11 June 2009, 10:57 PM
njberrie
Scooby Regular

yes it sounds like a fuel cut at either the high boost or revs after having them mods to carry on running high boost/ revs its worth having a remap hope this helps
Old 22 June 2009, 10:42 PM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

besides the point u hit fuel cut for a reason , actuator rod adjusted to tight , solenoid hose come of the actuator ( not common ) , boost spike , boost creep , boost leak all similar due to loose intake hoses or fitting aftermarket downpipes without a remap which is also not common to cause this problem but can due to lower backpressure my bet would be that the actuator rod is to tight or ur boost controller , if u have an aftermarket one is on the verge of 1.2 bar and needs turned down a tad (fuel cut is at 1.25 bar on most models but not all) and it hurts alittle when u boot it and u hit the fuel cut , failing this u have a boost spike or u need to clean the boost solenoid with brake cleaner , go underneath the dash board and connect the 2 green connectors together under the steering wheel then turn ignition on but dont start the car the boost solenoid should start clicking violently even if it doesnt click u should disconnect all hoses going to the boost solenoid and spray the brake cleaer in the top port for about 3 minutes then reconnect hoses and disconect green connectors, subaru of france sent out a service bulletrin stating that if the car is filled over the half way mark with oil then it manages to surge back to the solenoid and clog it up and this causes overboosting then fuel cut and the car will go into limp mode after the fuel cut . to clear the limp mode disconnect ur battery for 20 minutes and it will clear the ecu of limp mode and all fault codes , hope this helps m8
Old 02 July 2009, 03:57 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick question.

I have bought an Apexi ECU and will be getting the car remapped.

As the car went into limp home mode is the only way to clear this, to disconnect the battery for 20 mins or will it clear itself when I next drive the car?

Just trying to find out if it stays in limp mode until the ecu is reset?