Notices

Has anyone seen this Security Feature b4??

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2009, 10:57 PM
Arctic_Monkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone seen this Security Feature b4??

Apparently manufactured by 'Strongman' it was on the car when I bought it, and has been for around 8-9 years I believe.

It looks so unsightly, and has started to wear the edge of my seat down. I have stripped it down, but there is effectively a metal bar solidly in place. Has anyone seen a device like this before?? Any help appreciated
Old 07 July 2009, 11:33 PM
guinnessman2001
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strongman device

There was a similar device fitted to a BMW convertible featured in one of the Deals on Wheels programmes with Mike Brewer on the Men and Motors channel.
If I remember correctly the metal plate was attached using high tensile bolts which had security heads. Basically to remove them involved using an angle grinder and attacking the heads from below the car.

It certainly is a visual deterent, but looks hideous and if it starts scuffing the seat definately is time to get it removed.

Last edited by guinnessman2001; 08 July 2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07 July 2009, 11:45 PM
Arctic_Monkey
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate. Will do some research on that. Yes it is a good deterent, but with Cat 1 alarm and immob I'd rather get rid of it and save my seat from further damage lol..
Old 10 July 2009, 11:01 AM
Arctic_Monkey
Scooby Regular

Has anyone else seen this?
Old 10 July 2009, 02:35 PM
a5h
Scooby Regular

They are very popular on the African continent where car theft is very high. It is not uncommon for people to break a stering lock and push the car away/of a drive.
From what i remember guinessman is right they are either welded on or attched in the transmission tunel to stop would be thieves getting at it. The lock is a serious bugger to get of if you lose the key.
If it comes to it though i think you can just remove the centre console and grind it off below the console.
Old 10 July 2009, 02:44 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guinessman

Are you thinking of the Dipol locking device?

Dipol

shaun
Old 10 July 2009, 03:35 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

Seen a few, my mate had one fitted to his 2.0L focus... bolts go straight down under the car...

They are all rusted so pain in the **** to remove, so he just left it... will stop anyone from taking the car for a drive thats for sure!

PS. how has it started to wear your seat down? There is nothing touching the seat from what i can see :S

Last edited by Jamz_; 10 July 2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11 July 2009, 12:39 AM
guinnessman2001
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That was not the device featured on the Men and Motors programme. The spelling on that link is atrocious but it sounds way more complicated than the one I saw on the tele.

The one on the tele was a simple bracket bolted onto the transmission tunnel and you clamped the gear lever to it with a u bolt.

It was several years ago but I'm sure it was on a green BMW convertible and was fitted with security bolts that would not unscrew. The big mechanic guy was getting ripped in from the underside with an angle grinder.
Old 20 August 2009, 01:53 AM
Arctic_Monkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz_
Seen a few, my mate had one fitted to his 2.0L focus... bolts go straight down under the car...

They are all rusted so pain in the **** to remove, so he just left it... will stop anyone from taking the car for a drive thats for sure!

PS. how has it started to wear your seat down? There is nothing touching the seat from what i can see :S
It's not rubbing as i've got the seat as far back as it will go mate, when the seat is in 'mid range' position it rubs against the leather. I've removed the top part of the lock to stop the rubbing, so looks like I will have to find someone with an angle grinder to get rid of this