Notices

Just read my ECU...

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2009, 07:16 PM
C8XY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just read my ECU...

Can someone please help me out, I have just read my ECU and its reporting two fault codes:

13. Camshaft Position Sensor.
44. Turbocharger Pressure Control Signal.

Obviously I'm worried now

Can someone explain what this actually means?

Cheers
Old 08 July 2009, 07:32 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Hi c8xy, im a bmw tech but most engines use cam sensors in the same way so here goes the spiel.........
The engine uses cam position and crank position to determine its fueling and spark timing. if you lose the cam position the engine will use a substitute value and the crank position to re-determine its fuel/spark. just get the sensor replaced and leave the battery off to clear the ecu and it should be fine. With that fault in you will find a slight drop in performance and slightly higher than normal fuel consumption. With regards to the turbo im suspecting the boost control valve isnt sending a signal back to the ecu, but im sure a hardcore scooby boffin on here could clear that up for you a bit better. hope this helps mate!
Matt

Last edited by rookymatt; 08 July 2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08 July 2009, 07:41 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

What context are you asking in, is your car sitting there unable to start? And what type/MY is your car? Presume it's MY99 from your profile, but always better to know than guess.

Anyway, the error 13 means the ECU can't lock on the signal coming from the cam position sensor. If this is the case we can only presume your engine either won't start at all or is running very rough. As Matt says the control unit uses the cam and crank sensors to determine whereabouts in the rotation cycle the engine is, and without one or the other, will be unable to time the ignition and injection properly.

The sensor is located at the front of the No2/4 cylinder head, just behind the belt cover. Check to see if the connector is still firmly on. If it is, sounds like the sensor has failed (or is in the process of doing so). Could be a wiring fault but more likely to be the hardware.

The error 44 means that the ECU can't detect the boost control solenoid. Have you unplugged it - for example after fitting a manual boost controller?

Last edited by Splitpin; 08 July 2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08 July 2009, 07:50 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Splitpin to the rescue! Isn't there anything he doesn't know??!!! Hehehehehe. Good times.
Old 08 July 2009, 10:26 PM
C8XY
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, great replies. Yes it is a MY99 and it does run albeit with some flat spots and it has been known to pop like it has a decat. I will check the cam sensor connection tomorrow, if its in place I will order a new part.

As for the boost fault, the only modification is a bailey dump valve, there is no controller now but that doesn't mean that its never had one. Is there anything I should look out for?

Seriously thanks for your help, ive only had the car a week!
Old 08 July 2009, 10:47 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

I have a newage so im not so hot on locations but. . . my bugeye 2002 impreza wrx has a boost control valve which is located on the o/s (drivers side) of the engine bay. It has a black plastic cover with two twist lock tabs holding it in place. Release the tabs and the valve is under there, it will have a mass of vacuum hoses and an electrical connection to it i think! just make sure its on ok. If anything (with the ignition off!!) remove the plug to it and make sure all looks ok i.e no corrosion or pushed back pins or wires broken etc! if thats ok id say replace the cam sensor clear the memories and recheck after 500 miles to see if the fault returns before spending any more. you never know the previous owner could have been messing with it before you bought the car.
Good luck mate!
Matt

Last edited by rookymatt; 08 July 2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08 July 2009, 10:58 PM
C8XY
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate, wish I'd of checked the ecu faults at the weekend when I could of sorted it straight away , any idea how much these sensors cost?

Trending Topics

Old 08 July 2009, 11:06 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

That one is a mystery to me, it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. most bm ones are about the £80.00 mark so i'd hazard a guess to around there, maybe a bit more as jap parts always tend to be a bit more pricey!! :0
Old 09 July 2009, 12:06 PM
C8XY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
The sensor is located at the front of the No2/4 cylinder head, just behind the belt cover. Check to see if the connector is still firmly on.
Is it under the alternator held in place with an 8mm bolt? Sorry I'm not up on engines really...

If anyone can supply a pic that would help me out a lot, thanks guys

Last edited by C8XY; 09 July 2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09 July 2009, 03:37 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

No the one under the alternator is the crankshaft position sensor, so you're looking for the right sort of thing, just not quite in the right place! Look across to the top of the 2/4 head and you'll see the cam sensor, just in front of where the oil filler neck joins the engine. It'll look very similar to the crank one.
Old 09 July 2009, 05:39 PM
C8XY
Scooby Regular

ahh yes, held in place by two phillips head bolts, the connection seems ok so I will replace the sensor. Is it just a case of unscrewing > remove > replace > re-screw?
There wont be oil flying out or anything like that?
I reset the ECU today, the car drives so much better! I thought if i reset it I could see if the fault reappears after some driving around, as it could be an old fault.

As for the boost pressure control signal, any ideas where its located? I had a look for what Matt described but I just haven't got a clue. Where would you plug a boost controller in to? Could it even be inside the cabin, under the dash somewhere?
Old 09 July 2009, 06:10 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Yeah, unbolt the sensor, replace, and refit! do all repairs with the ignition off mind! as for the boost valve id wait on Mr pin to see if his vast knowledge can assit you! Oh and no, no oil will FLY out, but have a rag ready incase any residue does come out, im sure you don't want oil messing up your engine/ engine bay.

Last edited by rookymatt; 09 July 2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09 July 2009, 06:13 PM
C8XY
Scooby Regular

cheers matt, im on it mate just trying to find a sensor at a decent price
Old 09 July 2009, 06:25 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Someone on here must be able to get trade on a sensor. Put the word out and see who replys.
Best of luck mate
Matt.
Old 10 July 2009, 02:48 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C8XY
Is it just a case of unscrewing > remove > replace > re-screw?
There wont be oil flying out or anything like that?
Yep. unscrew, remove, replace, reconnect. No oil flying about. However...

I reset the ECU today, the car drives so much better! I thought if i reset it I could see if the fault reappears after some driving around, as it could be an old fault.
The ECU stores both current (i.e. happening now) and "historic" faults. If you diagnose it with a select monitor emulator you can see both. Can't remember whether the check engine light flash thing will only show you current faults, or whether it shows both, though, which might be significant.

As for the boost pressure control signal, any ideas where its located? I had a look for what Matt described but I just haven't got a clue.
The boost solenoid is (should be) where Matt said, fixed to a metal plate on the front of the offside suspension turret, alongside the pressure sensor and pressure sources change solenoid. The boost solenoid should be at the bottom of the bracket, and looks like a plastic cylinder inside an open metal "box". Electrical connection sits at one end with two pipes sticking out the other. These two pipes run back towards the engine, one running to the bottom of a T-piece in the pipe between turbo compressor outlet and wastegate actuator, and the other running down over the inlet manifold and into the turbo pipe.

Once you find the solenoid, check the electrical connector's actually connected.

Where would you plug a boost controller in to? Could it even be inside the cabin, under the dash somewhere?
"piggy back" electrical boost clamps and other such items tend to be inside the cabin tacked into the wiring loom by the ECU. Manual boost controllers like Dawes and bleed valves will most often be inserted in the plumbing right next to the turbo.

If in any doubt, post up a photo of the little pipes coming up off the turbo and of that sensor bracket on the RH turret and someone will soon tell you whether they look standard or not.

Anyway, all that said. Now you've reset the ECU, what happens if you connect the black plugs? Are you still getting both of the error codes? When you say the car drives better, do you mean that it actually feels right, or just less bad than before?
Old 10 July 2009, 08:14 PM
C8XY
Scooby Regular

Splitpin your a bloody legend! Can't believe you know so much!
The engine check light now flashes normal, the fault hasn't returned (yet) but I'm keeping an eye on it. The car drives very well, a little flat when cold but when its warm she pulls very nicely (i always let everything warm up before I give it any boot)
A member on here is supplying me with a used cam sensor in working order (£15 ) but I really want to leave my one in to see if the fault comes back.

I'm just about to go and check out the boost solenoid
Old 10 July 2009, 08:31 PM
C8XY
Scooby Regular

Found the boost solenoid
3 connectors on that bracket, all seem ok. Clean, firm connections with undamaged cables. Tubes seemed ok too.
ECU reads normal, I'll just have to keep an eye on it.
Thanks for your help guys.

Splitpin are you a mechanic by any chance? Could definitely send some work your way if your near hertfordshire.