Notices

Help with induction kit please

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2009, 08:27 AM
harrisonl84
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with induction kit please

I have a 97 wrx which i have owned for 2 months now. It currently has an induction kit. I am told these are a bad idea, can anybody please advice what i should replace it with ie a panel filter???

cheers
Old 10 July 2009, 12:09 PM
Mr. WRX
Scooby Regular

Is your car working fine or is there a problem? As there maybe no need to change to std airbox?
Old 10 July 2009, 12:29 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

If it's been mapped with the induction kit on, leave it as it is
Old 10 July 2009, 12:29 PM
harrisonl84
Scooby Regular

errmm nah its ok ever so slightly lumpy at low revs dont know if thats normal as only had car for 5 weeks, just been told bad things about them, should i replace it with a panel filter? apart from the induction it has full scorpion decat exaust???
Old 10 July 2009, 12:30 PM
harrisonl84
Scooby Regular

dnt know if its been mapped?? how can i tell
Old 10 July 2009, 12:32 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

The answer is yes and no!

The bad idea is what is known as heat soak... an induction kit in the engine bay can suck in warm air when the engine is warm. Motors like cold air, and the more cold air you can provide to the car, the more power you can get (colder air has more oxygen in or something like that)

This is more of a problem on N/A model cars, but for a turbo car, its not really a problem (not realy noticable)

Panel filters do help keep the heat out, and reduce heat soak, but induction kits on turbo cars can provide the car with more BHP.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with an induction kit on the scooby!

And if your running a classic, and its nice out (no rain) you could always take off the grill plate and will have all the cold air you want into the induction kit, or you could always get the induction kit that goes down behind the wheel arch (but you run risk of sucking up water)
Old 10 July 2009, 12:33 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

On another note, you dont really need a remap for an induction kit, as the MAF tells the ECU whats happening on this part

Trending Topics

Old 10 July 2009, 12:44 PM
harrisonl84
Scooby Regular

ok cheers for the info mate
Old 10 July 2009, 01:13 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Cool air is denser air and gives an better explosion when the spark fires thus giving the power.

Inductions kits don't give much in the way of performance gains as the std airbox with a decent panel filter is normal good for quite high figures (350bhp+) it's after this point the induction kit comes in it's own but it WILL need a remap if it hasn't already had one.

Also just keep an eye on the lumpy idle or if the car starts to hunt at idle as induction kits have been known to break MAFs (the oil from the filter kills em)
Old 12 July 2009, 05:15 PM
sponners
Scooby Regular

noone has mentioned that the induction kit will alter the airflow over the maf so in turn will alter how the ecu 'interprets' the airflow.

.....which can be very dangerous.

so get a remap if fitting inductions or at least get the fuelling and knock checked for safety.
Old 12 July 2009, 05:23 PM
nullfork
Scooby Regular

Echoing what is said above, if you remove the cone filter and go back to panel filter you definitely need the map altering as the "MAF scaling" will be out. DANGEROUS!!!
Old 12 July 2009, 08:42 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamz_
The answer is yes and no!

The bad idea is what is known as heat soak... an induction kit in the engine bay can suck in warm air when the engine is warm. Motors like cold air, and the more cold air you can provide to the car, the more power you can get (colder air has more oxygen in or something like that)

This is more of a problem on N/A model cars, but for a turbo car, its not really a problem (not realy noticable)

Panel filters do help keep the heat out, and reduce heat soak, but induction kits on turbo cars can provide the car with more BHP.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with an induction kit on the scooby!

And if your running a classic, and its nice out (no rain) you could always take off the grill plate and will have all the cold air you want into the induction kit, or you could always get the induction kit that goes down behind the wheel arch (but you run risk of sucking up water)
Erm - I thought heat soak is a problem because the filter, unless it's a wing mounted kit, will be sat right next to the turbo and hence being supplied with lots of hot air?

Generally, the only time I've seen induction kits recommended are for 300bhp+ Imprezas and even then the kits are either generally wing mounted or surrounded by a heat shield for that exact reason, like the K&N apollo for example.
Supposedly, the standard air box with a good panel filter is fine for up to 350bhp ish - tuners seem to agree it's a fairly good design.

If you have no cold air feed whatsoever then it's going to get HOT! Do you not agree with this then?

Last edited by MrNoisy; 12 July 2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 13 July 2009, 12:04 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sponners
noone has mentioned that the induction kit will alter the airflow over the maf so in turn will alter how the ecu 'interprets' the airflow.

.....which can be very dangerous.

so get a remap if fitting inductions or at least get the fuelling and knock checked for safety.

that's kinda what I was getting at by saying it WILL need a remap!

Anything that alters airflow in and gas flow out significantly should also have map tweeks to go with them as it will through all sorts of things out of kilter!

Last edited by Stealth; 13 July 2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 13 July 2009, 02:52 PM
ginger321
Scooby Regular

I put one on mine a coupla months ago without a re map an in the hot weather it felt sluggish. took it off 3 weeks ago an normal service was restored. Green panel and stock airbox for me. Think id only go back to one if i got a fmic.
Old 14 July 2009, 11:37 PM
radboy69
Scooby Regular

put a blitz induction on my type r and it started to over boost, so having a remap done at the moment so should be ok now