Notices

Ported standard headers/up pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2009, 09:16 AM
shogo10
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported standard headers/up pipe

Hoping someone can help here it's just i have managed to obtain a set of ported standard headers and up pipe. Now the question is since they are the standard headers and up pipe, can i replace the original heatshield from the old headers and transplant them onto the ported ones.
Or will i have to fork out and have them heatwrapped
Old 12 July 2009, 09:57 AM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

If its still got the lugs on the ported set then your can transfer them. Depending on the age of the car you might struggle to get the heat shields off in one piece.
Old 12 July 2009, 03:31 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shogo10
Hoping someone can help here it's just i have managed to obtain a set of ported standard headers and up pipe. Now the question is since they are the standard headers and up pipe, can i replace the original heatshield from the old headers and transplant them onto the ported ones.
Or will i have to fork out and have them heatwrapped
If you're going to go to the time and trouble of fitting ported headers, you should really get them wrapped or coated. The whole point of wrapping is that it insulates the headers better than the shields, maintaining more of the EGT and getting you more energy at the turbine as a result.

Also, as Shmerman says, check that whoever ported the branches hasn't ground the lugs off. If these are gone then you can't refit standard shields, even if you can get them off your existing headers in one piece. The up-pipe shield is welded on anyway, so not only will this be difficult for you to remove neatly from the old pipe, if you don't have access to a welder you won't be able to reattach it.