Notices

Best MAF question ever - HELP !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2009, 08:03 PM
Gaity
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best MAF question ever - HELP !!!!

Right, before I smash the car up here is the scenario .....

It's a 2003 WRX with various mods running at 330 bhp.

The last mod was done a couple of months ago (K&N 57i Induction Kit & decat downpipe) and Bob did a Map tweek straight after.

During the Map tweek the CEL came on which Bob diagnosed as the EGT and suggested the "CEL fix".

A few weeks later the car started idling like a sack of sh*te and would stall at junctions if you didn't rev the car, and above 3000rpm the car would jump around like a bloody kangaroo !!

I took it to Subaru there and then, and without using any CEL code reader they quickly diagnosed that the MAF was at fault - they said after taking the wiring harness off the MAF and then the car ran fine; put it back on and the car stalled.

As I didn't want to pay £15,000 for a new MAF from Subaru I asked on here if anyone had one.

2 kind people offered me their MAF's as they had upgraded to a Simtec - I've now tried both of these MAF's and the same thing happens

Can it be that all 3 MAF's are knackered or should I do something before or after fitting a MAF

Does the ECU need to be reset after fitting a MAF, and can you do this as a DIY job

Please help as otherwise the Scoob will get vandalised by me
Old 22 July 2009, 08:54 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

When I tried to get my bugeye OE ECU remapped after fitting various bits which with the GEMS ECU push out a pleasent 400 bhp. The guy mapping it wouldnot continue as the Lambda was all over the place, this is due to the turbulent air coming from the induction kit upsetting the MAF sensor. I have a few idea's to try but having just bought a house no time to fit them. Additionally when I had my car MOT'd last december with the MAF fully connected, the GEMS MAP sensor uses two of the MAF wires so they have spade connectors on. It failed the emissions due to a erraticLambda the garage let me check over the engine bay to check everthing was okay so I disconnected the connectors and the Lambda was smoother andit passed the emissions.

Yes that was a bit long winded but I hope it helps explain what trouble the MAF is having.
Hope it helps Steve
Old 23 July 2009, 06:20 PM
Gaity
Scooby Regular

Any other opinions .................