Notices

Rusty nuts!!

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2009, 01:05 PM
Neofox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty nuts!!

Just in the process of giving my Type-R an overhaul and was going to replace some crappy looking nuts and bolts. Was just wondering if zinc plated nuts and bolts are upto the job or should i be getting something else?

Cheers

Ian
Old 23 July 2009, 01:36 PM
Evo Bizz
Scooby Regular

You could just buy new nuts and bolts from a Subaru dealer, they are not cheap but will be the right tensile strength for each application.
Old 23 July 2009, 02:36 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Hello Ian,
This is a common problem I find with all cars and this is what I'd recommend. Get stainless steel everything! Anything but stainless steel or Aluminium will rust eventually and look rubbish. Plus rust is like a cancer so it spread's outwards from the rusty areas. I bought a stainless steel nuts, bolt's and washer's kit from Screwfix Direct for £9.99. This had a good variety of sizes and lengths and was good value for money. This is fine for replacing thing's like timing belt cover bolt's, dip stick holder bolt etc
You could also try metal wholesalers as you will be able to buy individual bolt's, nut's and washers from them and also get the exact ones you need without spending un-necessarily. These are better quality than Screwfixand are usually very cheap from these place's/ for example; 5 pence per M6x60mm stainless steel bolt.
You could also look at Demon Tweeks as they have some really nice bolt, washer and nut kit's which are very high quality, tensile specific in some cases & available in almost every colour (although more expensive but if you only need a few it's worth it).
As long as the bolts and nuts your replacing aren't for important things then the tensile strengths of the materials doesn't really matter. Thing's like manifold's and engine mount's should alway's be replaced with the correct tensile strength bolt's but stainless steel equivalents or better are always available.
Hope that's given you some ideas, Gareth