Notices

How Can I temporary fix this please -

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2009, 05:32 PM
ollyit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Can I temporary fix this please -

I have a small hole leaking all the coolant out of this pipe above the exhaust headers (smaller one on the left hand side), obviously the temp is racing up to "hot" so I cant really drive it without potentially damaging it -

what can I do as a temp fix, it looks very hard to get too and replace as the right hand part of the pipe dissappears - is there a good sealing product i can use to bung it up with?

thanks in advance guys!

http://img132.imageshack.us/i/dsc0276q.jpg/

Last edited by ollyit; 24 July 2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 24 July 2009, 05:43 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Hello,
It's a little hard to tell from the picture what pipe your on about sorry. Is it a metal one or rubber? If its metal I'd use maybe Quiksteel;
QuikSteel.co.uk....Purchase Quiksteel, K-seal & Seal-Up online

If it's rubber depending on how far your hoping to drive it I might be tempted to try wrapping the whole pipe with duct tap especially if your getting a new pipe fitted anyway. Hope thats a help, Gareth
Old 24 July 2009, 05:56 PM
ollyit
Scooby Regular

looks great stuff, thanks mate - sorry couldnt edit the pic its the rusted metal one coming from the left hand side or drivers side if you like that dissappears under the centre pulley, can this quicksteel stuff be bought from halfords do you matey? thanks again

Last edited by ollyit; 24 July 2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 24 July 2009, 09:18 PM
ollyit
Scooby Regular

for the moment i've wirebrushed down, dried fully, wrapped in stretchy flexible rubber tape that kind of grips when put back on itself, 1 x jubilee clip over area not overtightened, covered the whole lot in black marine sikaflex marine sealant, but not the jubliee clip just around it, should have gone off by the morning I hope,I'll top up coolant and water, see how we go - will get a peice of pipe and look into doing job shortley - shall I start the car with the header tank open and add in and let any trapped air surface?

thanks again guys
Old 24 July 2009, 10:05 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ollyit
for the moment...
Word from the wise: If the pipe you're referring to is the crossover that runs between the oil cooler and the water pump, the only way to fix it is to replace it.

Bodges won't last very long once you get pressure from within the cooling system combining with heat from the exhaust manifold, and if one part of that pipe has rusted through, then it's knackered.. Trying to delay the inevitable is at best going to waste your time and at worst is going to result in an overheated engine. Only something like £18 for a new one; do it.
Old 24 July 2009, 10:43 PM
ollyit
Scooby Regular

you're absolutley right, I shant delay, I'll take another pic in the morning showing you the exact pipe - hopefully you kind chaps can tell me what its called so I can purchase a new one, thanks again for your input
Old 24 July 2009, 10:51 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

If it's the black pipe about 8-10" long that runs beneath the centre part of the timing belt cover, from the oil cooler on the driver's side to the water pump on the left, it's called the Oil Cooler Pipe and has a part number of 21328AA011
Old 27 July 2009, 10:29 AM
ollyit
Scooby Regular

thanks mate, appreciate the info, its holding today and being very carefull, I've amended the image to show you exactly where the hole is - I'm on it today

Old 30 July 2009, 10:55 AM
ollyit
Scooby Regular

Old 30 July 2009, 11:20 AM
david18
Scooby Regular

hi mate get some rubber tube that will just slipp over metal tube cut that back to good and push rubber over metal one clip it id say that will last some miles
Old 30 July 2009, 12:41 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by david18
hi mate get some rubber tube that will just slipp over metal tube cut that back to good and push rubber over metal one clip it id say that will last some miles
I know you're trying to be helpful, and you're right, it probably will last "some miles" but that's not the way to go in this situation.

If a pipe has rusted through, like this one, that means it is structurally compromised at one point along its length. If it's compromised in one place, likelihood is that somewhere else isn't far behind.

If you repair one part of it, whether by your method or by Olly's, sure, it fixes the problem temporarily but what it does is raise the prospect of somewhere else going through in future. Given that the water system gets pressurised as it heats, it's also more likely that any future failure will occur when the engine is hot. Consequences under those circumstances aren't good.

Bearing in mind all of that, plus that a new one is so cheap, and that it's actually an easier, quicker job to just replace it than it is to "fix"; the quickest, best way forward is just to order a new one and fit it at the first opportunity.
Old 30 July 2009, 01:08 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Total sense from Splitpin.

And for c.£18, no further discussion needed! Go fix it...

Old 17 August 2009, 11:00 AM
ollyit
Scooby Regular

Got the new part, £29 all in from subaru - needed to release from cooling fan from the rad and offset it so Icould get hand hand and wrench down there, theres a retaining screw on a bracket that holds the pipe secure, and 2 clamps either end, its easier to attack from underneath so engine tray has to be removed for access, cool down the water if engines warm or you'll get scalded!!

Old 17 August 2009, 05:24 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good on ya!
Old 17 August 2009, 05:35 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Nice one Olly - job well done. That old pipe looked well knackered, replacement definitely the only way forward. Seems as though the part's yet another one that's had an IM price bump though. Grrrr.
Old 17 August 2009, 06:04 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep - well done - next job on your list would be a Alternator belt

Mick
Old 18 August 2009, 09:27 AM
ollyit
Scooby Regular

yes youre quite right there!! lots of little tiny splits - get it sorted boy!