Cat replacement suppliers....

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2009, 09:08 PM
muthaducka
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat replacement suppliers....

Hi

This is my first scooby so I'm hoping you chaps / ladies can help point me in the right direction.

I've got a bugeye wrx with ppp. It's got the Prodrive back box and replacement downpipe as part of the kit. I believe that removes 1 of the cats. I want to remove numbers 2 and 3 three if possible.

I haven't changed anything with the engine, I'm keen to save myself from having a re-map and have guess that as the gases are leaving the engine, removing the cats shouldn't cause any problems with the air / fuel mix - unless anyone has any information about that.

I'm in the Manchester / North west area and the cheaper the better. I've got a trip to the ring booked in three weeks time and this would be a nice mod before I go

Last edited by muthaducka; 03 August 2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: grammer skills
Old 04 August 2009, 12:14 AM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

think you will need a re map to be safe. only way you will gain any power from that mod anyway
Old 04 August 2009, 08:14 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Depending on year, depends what cats are there and then changed or removed by the PPP.

If you have an up-pipe cat that can be swapped for a non cat up-pipe and a resistor used to dummy the Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor.

Some PPP replace the downpipe cat with a 'sports cat' others don't, most replace the underfloor cat with a decat pipe.

You can't loose the dowpipe cat without setting the Malfunction Indicator Light for cat failure, that would need mapping out if you want to keep the safety net of having it flag serious issues.

Simon
Old 04 August 2009, 08:41 AM
muthaducka
Scooby Regular

I'm really just looking to open up the sound of the scooby without looking for a power increase. I've just checked the web for details of the PPP package and it appears that all you get is a back box, therefore I guess all three cats are in place:
http://www.prodrive.com/up/03MY%20WRX%20PPP.pdf

and found this: Subaru4you - Subaru Impreza & Legacy Exhausts, Subaru Stainless steel exhaust hi flow cat, Subaru performance exhaust, Hayward & Scott Subaru Exhaust.

Maybe I need to pop into a local exhaust company - just something that I fancied doing myself if I know which bits to buy
Old 04 August 2009, 09:35 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

If you are looking for sound alone with no power gains you can just change the backbox to something like a Blitz, alternatively you can change the Center as well just to get a bit more sound.

Note that if you do start removing CATS you WILL need to remap the car.