Notices

boost fluctuation (spelling)

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2009, 03:46 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost fluctuation (spelling)

Before any one slaps me and kicks my head in i know i need a remap but i still have to find out if there might be another issue so please be easy.

i have a v3 sti, hks dragger with 3" dp and decat. fmic, turbo intake and blitz filter, now running a vf35 with no dv.

no when i change my turbo intake pipe i noticed that under full boost in 4th gear my boost hits about 1.2 and then fluctuates around 1.1-1.3 and i get my chatter kicking in when my foot is flat down. then all of a sudden it goes and boost goes over 1.2 and its solid. now i have check all pipes and i have no air leaks, and i have changed the resistor pill as before i was boosting to 1.5-1.6 and some times it was cutting out for a split second but was fluctuating even more. so i changed it in order to drop the boost.

any ideas what might be going on. or is this normal and i am now noticing it more becuase i have the turbo intake pipe on (i know these enhance the sound)

any ideas???

(thanks in advance)
Old 04 August 2009, 08:49 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you tried the putting the OEM DV back on, and recircing it back to your new intake pipe? Try that.

Otherwise, perhaps it's the new intake pipe promoting better, more laminar airflow into the turbo which might be contributing to the boost fluctuation?
Old 04 August 2009, 10:40 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

i do have the standard dv but i have gone fmic now so got no where to fit it.
Old 04 August 2009, 10:50 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

wouldent push the car till mapped and see what happens??? i know what you mean you start to get para about things ive got a loud sssshhhh when on boost just run in the car and got a v6sti tmic have no idea if this is normal its been a while since my car has seen boost
Old 05 August 2009, 09:26 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

have you got a new inlet and also a filter on there. im sure the noise is normal as it will be the car sucking in the air on boost and with the bigger intercooler the air will be a little more dense and this will cause noise differences.

i plugged my car in last night and my maf reading was low on idle. an indication that its running rich!

any idea if this could be because of the front mount?? intake temps were about low 30deg when running so i was happy with that and all other readings were spot on.
Old 05 August 2009, 09:40 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr_D
no when i change my turbo intake pipe i noticed that under full boost in 4th gear my boost hits about 1.2 and then fluctuates around 1.1-1.3 and i get my chatter kicking in when my foot is flat down. )
So since you changed the turbo intake pipe, when you boot it a from low speed you get a 'chatter' and boost fluctutaion? This clears as the revs rise

Sounds like classic (as in stereotypical not old Impreza) Compressor surge (aka 'wastegate chatter' for the max power brigade), possibly due to a poor aftermarket intake pipe which are known not to give decent laminar flow to the compressor (see scoobynet project specC) which can result in surge.

Simon