Notices

95 WRX Boost Issues ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2009, 08:24 PM
Menti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 WRX Boost Issues ?

Got a little problem with my recently bought 95`WRX (its my 3rd one).

Engine is running absolutely smoothly, turbo is a TD05. It doesnt have a boost gauge yet, but im gonna get one tomorrow, it feels like its boosting 0.5 bar max (even if). It has a 3 Inch Catback, no Boost Controller, Stock Airfilter.

Since its my 3rd one i knew something is not right, my first WRX went like hell (even faster than newer STI`s), throttle response was mega, so was spool up.

Boost up is VERY slow/lazy, under 4000 rpm it pretty much has no power at all, above 4000 it kinda kicks in, but still not impressive at all, absolutely no comparison to my old one, and that had a TD04.

I thought the Actuator might be bad, changed it ... but still the same, its boosts up VERY slowly and just feels very sluggish below 4000 rpm.

I removed the hose from the wastegate just to see if it changes everything, above 4000 its noticeable that it has slightly more boost (it should hit Fuelcut though - but it doesnt), but thats about it.

Especially between 3000 and 4000 rpm where you should feel the torque -theres absolutely NOTHING.

Any idea what the problem might be ? Friend of mine had similar problems with his old one, never figured it out what it was.

Will see tomorrow how much it is boosting.
Old 14 August 2009, 08:29 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

boost control solunoid try a manual boost control pick one up cheep
Old 14 August 2009, 08:37 PM
Menti
Scooby Newbie

Yeah will do that tomorrow, it seems that a lot of people had that problem according to the search function.

If you step on it, it takes likes 2 seconds until it finally starts to spool, even in high rpms.
Old 14 August 2009, 10:19 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

does the car by any chance have a after market up-pipe or after market headers? as the symptoms seems to point in that direction.
Old 14 August 2009, 10:48 PM
Menti
Scooby Newbie

Nah, everything is stock. Must be the solenoid, found this in another message board:

"Had a bit of slight hesitation at just about 2000-3500rpm while just holding the accelerator slightly. Would drive through boost fine, but it was annoying me even in 5th gear at 3000rpm it would slightly hesitate. So took off the hoses from boost solenoid and sprayed carb cleaner into the holes of boost solenoid, was a bit of dirt came out, put hoses back on and started it then took it off again sprayed it again and then put it back together. They no hesitation anymore boost change over feels a lot more reponsive and a lot better feel to accelarator response it pulls better to. Amazing what a bit of carb cleaner can do!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 15 August 2009, 09:12 AM
w13dle
Scooby Regular

Glad you've sorted it mate I know how much this can drive you mad, currently going through near enough the same problem on my 95wrx but without the hesitation got a feeling it's the actuator, is there a test to see if these are working correctly?
Old 16 August 2009, 09:35 PM
Menti
Scooby Newbie

Well, i didnt sort it out, i was just quoting another guy from a different board with the same problem i have.

According to the boost gauge its boosting fine, i cleaned the Solenoid Valve - still nothing.

Tomorrow ill try another Valve and will check the Coilpacks and Spark Plugs, such a pain in the ***, drives me mad.
Old 17 August 2009, 09:24 AM
w13dle
Scooby Regular

sorry i misread that i thought you'd sorted it, have you tried attaching the two black connecters under the dash to see if the ecu's bringing up any fault codes? yes coilpacks could be brittle & cracked but from past experience ive only noticed these being a problem under high boost but worth checking anyway, the plugs should be prf6bs or 7bs & gapped to around 0.65 or 0.7, have you tried cleaning the maf aswell with carb cleaner?