Notices

Help! speedo stopped working and code 24

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2009, 05:17 PM
stinger_sweaty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! speedo stopped working and code 24

hey folks my speedo has stopped working properly, iv checked the cable to see if the cable is connected and it seems to be so im guessing the speedo cable is knackred also after the speedo stopped working the car stalls when pulling up to junctions traffic lights etc, iv heard this is quite a common problem on the 96-98 imprezas, iv ordered a new cable from ebay to see if this sorts this problem is there anything else i need to check?, also i done a ecu check today and comes up with 2 long pulses and 4 short = code 24? which i belive is idle control system, where is this located? and how do i check it?

many thanx dennis.
Old 18 August 2009, 10:14 PM
stinger_sweaty
Scooby Regular

anyone?
Old 19 August 2009, 08:34 PM
stinger_sweaty
Scooby Regular

btt?
Old 19 August 2009, 08:40 PM
SILVERSCOOB81
Scooby Regular

What year is your car mate are your clocks electric or analouge
Old 19 August 2009, 09:07 PM
stinger_sweaty
Scooby Regular

its a sti 3 96 with analouge clocks. I took the dash out today put a drill in the back of the speedo clock the clocks works, i disconnected the speedo cable from the gearbox end (the part with the small clip on not the end bolted in the gearbox) got a mate to spin the cable and it was spinning at the speedo clock end, i just dont know what else it could be?
Old 20 August 2009, 05:50 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Do you have a km/h / mph converter fitted? If so, have you tested that this works? Also, can you check the output from the gearbox (this obviously shouldn't rotate with the car stationary). If the speedo isn't working, you should also have a speed sensor fault and be limited to 4,500 rpm?

My speedo stopped working a while back (MY 93 WRX), but only occasionally lit the CEL along with the reduced rev limiter. I checked the cable (which was ok) and pulled out the dash, only to find the clocks worked too. Put it all back together, and it's been fine since!!

Sorry, if that doesn't really help too much!
Old 20 August 2009, 07:35 PM
stinger_sweaty
Scooby Regular

no i havent got a mph converter fitted, it seems wierd, i ordered a new cable, but to be honest i think its the lower part of the speedo with the end bolted in the gearbox which i suspect to be knackered, but yes i took it to a garage today and i do have code 33 speed sensor, the cable between the speedo and gearbox works i tested that by using a drill, so it leaves me to think it must be the lower cable, DaveD how do you fixed a faulty speed sensor mate?
Old 20 August 2009, 08:16 PM
SILVERSCOOB81
Scooby Regular

I had my cable replaced last month as the top half had been left sitting on the downpipe and had not been routed correctly it burnt through and the car went into limp mode replaced the whole cable and everything was fine, I'm sure once you fit a new cable it will be fine
Old 20 August 2009, 08:30 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stinger_sweaty
DaveD how do you fixed a faulty speed sensor mate?
As I said in my post, I was scratching my head trying to work out where the fault was. I took everything apart, found it all to be working, and just stuck it back together again because I needed the car to drive to work. Oddly, disturbing everything and putting it back together seemed to fix it!

So, unfortunately, I'm not mych help. You seem to have checked all the obvious bits, so it might well be at the gearbox end....
Old 20 August 2009, 08:57 PM
stinger_sweaty
Scooby Regular

yea the problem is i cant find the gearbox end anywhere, i look on ebay but its only the longer cable they sell, its snapping me mate, its not so much the speedo not working, i can get my satnav to give me my speed, but when it keeps stalling pulling up to junctions traffics lights etc is quite dangerious, and thats whats paining me, iv not even had the car 2 weeks yet and this happens, sorry to go off on one, but i need my car for work and my social life.