Notices

Front end judder?

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2009, 09:41 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end judder?

I have a bit of a judder that i can feel slightly through the steering wheel, but i would say more so through the car, its like a slight applying of the brakes on and off quickly when off the throttle, mainly at lower speeds up to 50mph at a guess, worse at around 25mph, and only happens after a sustained cruise at 60+ miles an hour, never when car is cold, ie just set off. Its a strange one, my thoughts are maybe a brake problem on the front end, but have stopped the car when the problem occurred so i could physically touch the wheel centres (hubs), and calipers just to see if any of it was really hot, but nothing felt hot?, your ideas would be appreciated please!, hubs, brakes, discs, calipers, ball joints, cv, diff?, i dont know so help is welcome, thanks.
Old 19 August 2009, 11:27 AM
aj_erst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by samcowrx
I have a bit of a judder that i can feel slightly through the steering wheel, but i would say more so through the car, its like a slight applying of the brakes on and off quickly when off the throttle, mainly at lower speeds up to 50mph at a guess, worse at around 25mph, and only happens after a sustained cruise at 60+ miles an hour, never when car is cold, ie just set off. Its a strange one, my thoughts are maybe a brake problem on the front end, but have stopped the car when the problem occurred so i could physically touch the wheel centres (hubs), and calipers just to see if any of it was really hot, but nothing felt hot?, your ideas would be appreciated please!, hubs, brakes, discs, calipers, ball joints, cv, diff?, i dont know so help is welcome, thanks.
Apart from the obvious you mentioned, you could check for a loose wheel nut? bit of a long shot I know
Old 19 August 2009, 07:15 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

front discs warped?
Old 19 August 2009, 08:27 PM
J20BUT
Scooby Newbie

What discs and pads have you got on?
Old 19 August 2009, 08:53 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

Discs and pads are mintex, four pot calipers.
Got the car on axle stands this evening and took the wheels off, i pulled and wiggled everything i could get hold of, all seems tight and fine under there, so its nothing obvious, im still leaning towards a caliper or disc. will probably take the passenger side caliper off tomorrow and check it out, the drivers side was serviced and the pistons replaced a few months ago.