Notices

VF22, VF23 OR TDO516G??????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2009, 10:20 PM
ScoobyTurbo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VF22, VF23 OR TDO516G??????????????????

Guys ,

I want a little more power in my car. I've spoken to several owners of subarus some even on this forum and everyone has their own opinion! I was wondering if i stick a new turbo in, can i get more power (boost n acceleration) without remapping and increasing injector size etc (ive got PPP ecu etc). I dont want my car to blow its engine and it being a uk t2000 MY99 it's not exactly made as an sti! So if i replace turbo then will it run fine?
Now, if i do the whole upgrade (injectors bigger intercooler fuel pump turbo remap etc) then will my engine last for long? or eventually fail on me?
Lastly, regardless of what case, what turbo should I get, the ones in the title r the only ones I can afford!!!

Thanks guys!
Old 19 August 2009, 10:26 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

i got a vf23 in mine with some mods mate an pushing 310bhp. reallly made a big difference from standard form but woteva u do mate for seriously more power its gonna cost a remap to suit
Old 19 August 2009, 10:44 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyTurbo2000
I was wondering if i stick a new turbo in, can i get more power (boost n acceleration) without remapping
No, in a word. If you replace one turbo (and a TD04 in particular) with something else you're going to need to either remap it or fit a pretty comprehensive set of piggyback boxes to get it run tidily/safely, let alone at something close to its capability. By the time you've d*cked about with aftermarket boxes for a while and still not got it running right (or blew it up), you'll wish you'd just done it properly to start with.

increasing injector size etc (ive got PPP ecu etc)
MY99-00 UK cars have pretty decent 440cc injectors. With a fuel pump upgrade you can go past 320-330 before IDC gets too silly and bigger ones become advisable - assuming the ones you've got are flowing nicely.

I dont want my car to blow its engine and it being a uk t2000 MY99 it's not exactly made as an sti!
Sure it's got an open deck block but you can still do quite a bit with them and maintain engine safety. More than enough to knacker your clutch and gearbox for starters...

So if i replace turbo then will it run fine?
It'll either run like a piece of crap or will blow itself to pieces, depending on which turbo you choose. Chances of a mix and match approach getting you anywhere good are remote, to say the least.

Now, if i do the whole upgrade (injectors bigger intercooler fuel pump turbo remap etc) then will my engine last for long? or eventually fail on me?
If you do it properly, talk to a reputable mapper, choose the components and have it mapped properly, chances are it'll be just as reliable as a completely standard car - if not moreso. However, the approach you seem to be considering is a recipe for looming disaster.

Lastly, regardless of what case, what turbo should I get, the ones in the title r the only ones I can afford!!!
I wouldn't bother with either a VF22 or 23, they don't develop that much power in modern terms, are laggy compared with the more modern alternatives, are very difficult to rebuild, and aren't that robust either. Given that most of the candidates you're likely to be looking at are out of 11 or 12 year old cars, it's highly possible you'll be getting something that will be past its best.

That would tend to leave you with a front entry 16G, or, given that you're probably going to be saving up a bit longer for the remap you're going to need, possibly a VF35.
Old 19 August 2009, 10:44 PM
Rye597
Scooby Regular

Well I have a few parts off my P1 that would improve performance...

I have the 440 injectors (46kmiles)
VF28 turbo (very good condition, no cracks/play in shaft etc again 46k miles)
P1 ECU with ECUTEK licence and map top support mods

I was running the above with K&N filter, walbro 255 fuel pump and de-cat downpipe...

As a package they may offer good upgrades...??

Again, not entirely sure to be honest mate, might be worth you looking into

Last edited by Rye597; 19 August 2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 19 August 2009, 11:05 PM
ScoobyTurbo2000
Scooby Regular

Guys,

Great advice! Hope others can read this and learn from you all too! seddomyster, thanks for the tip and hope your car treats you as well as you treat it (to be clear that's good!)

Splitpin, you're a true geezer, youve helped me out in the past (turbo chatter) and once again youve helped me out here, thanks for that mate! Would be great to meet you guys sooner or later!

Splitpin and Rye, YHPM!

Thanks again guys, much appreciated!!!!!!!!!
Old 20 August 2009, 03:23 AM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rye597
Well I have a few parts off my P1 that would improve performance...

I have the 440 injectors (46kmiles)
VF28 turbo (very good condition, no cracks/play in shaft etc again 46k miles)
P1 ECU with ECUTEK licence and map top support mods

I was running the above with K&N filter, walbro 255 fuel pump and de-cat downpipe...

As a package they may offer good upgrades...??

Again, not entirely sure to be honest mate, might be worth you looking into

As above,
I have a MY99 UK Turbo
VF28 turbo
K&N 57i
Walbro 255 pump
Hybrid FMIC
Full De-cat

Made 299.7 BHP on RR without a re-map

Now has simtek fitted and mapped by JGM, havent been back on the rollers yet but its ALOT better
Old 20 August 2009, 12:51 PM
GreenTurbo98
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnlogie
As above,
I have a MY99 UK Turbo
VF28 turbo
K&N 57i
Walbro 255 pump
Hybrid FMIC
Full De-cat

Made 299.7 BHP on RR without a re-map

Now has simtek fitted and mapped by JGM, havent been back on the rollers yet but its ALOT better

What boost were you runnning at the point prior to the remap? I guess you had installed a manual boost controller when adding the VF28?