Engine Questions Please...

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2009, 05:02 PM
scottyp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Questions Please...

Hi All

sorry if in wrong section, and sorry for the newbie questions. I am just after some answers if ok and hopefully can be clarified below.

i got a L 93 scoob wrx

1) I know the engines an Ej20 but can someone identify the turbo type for me as pictured below. Whether its this td05 or LF or whatever its called.

2) At present with its induction / hks on there its fluttering away and is only running standard boost, i know this isnt to good for the compressor etc so ive got a forge bov on its way and with my understanding being this will just help it and not stress it so much, i know the re-circs are the best

anyways what you see in the pics is how it stands and how i got it

2b) my question is do i just place the bov where "A" is shown and place the blue hose pictured as "C" to the A (bov) and do i do anything with "B"

many thanks

Old 28 August 2009, 05:14 PM
steven dack
Scooby Newbie

yes mate dump valve fits there looks like someone removed it before sale
Old 29 August 2009, 05:24 PM
scottyp
Scooby Regular

hi guys, now ive fitted the forge bov i find my car flutter dumps now is this good or bad ! or normal even
Old 29 August 2009, 06:52 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As you've said/done, the DV fits into that blue Samco coming from the TMIC (so obviously you need to remove the bung that's in it to fit it in. And yes, the narrow blue vac hose needs to also be unbunged and then fitted to the vac nipple on top of the BOV.

I take it your DV has NO recirc return port? If so, then leave the recirc inlet port coming off the large black intake hose bunged up... and BTW, LOL at the wheel stud performing this task!!! WTF! Although, it does look like it's a perfect fit!

If it is a VTA (vent-to-air) BOV, then it will make some kind of very noticable "wooosh"-type noise, when closing the throttle...

Last edited by joz8968; 29 August 2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 29 August 2009, 06:57 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, and if you have a saloon, then the std turbo is a Mitsubishi TD05H 16g - good for upto around 350bhp with suitable supporting mods/remap.

If a Wagon, it's the smaller, more frisky TD04L - good for upto c.280bhp with decat downpipe/remap.

Last edited by joz8968; 29 August 2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 29 August 2009, 07:13 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

You should be able to see on the turbo what model it is....stand towards the front of your car on the driver's side wing, If you look at your turbo through the small gap underneath the black rubber "corrugated" air intake pipe then you should be able to see alot of stamping marks & numbers on the turbo housing. On my96 classic the turbo is very clearly marked "TDO5 H" but other than that I don't know whether mines a small 16G, big 16G, 18G or 20G (think its probably a big 16G though).
Hope that help's a little.
Old 29 August 2009, 08:20 PM
scottyp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
and BTW, LOL at the wheel stud performing this task!!! WTF! Although, it does look like it's a perfect fit!

If it is a VTA (vent-to-air) BOV, then it will make some kind of very noticable "wooosh"-type noise, when closing the throttle...
LOL - yes its how i got the car and it seems to be doing the trick ok lol , i got the forge bov which is a VTA type and not the re-circ sadly

Originally Posted by joz8968
Oh, and if you have a saloon, then the std turbo is a Mitsubishi TD05H 16g - good for upto around 350bhp with suitable supporting mods/remap.

If a Wagon, it's the smaller, more frisky TD04L - good for upto c.280bhp with decat downpipe/remap.
i have the saloon wrx classic import

Originally Posted by GMballistic
You should be able to see on the turbo what model it is....stand towards the front of your car on the driver's side wing, If you look at your turbo through the small gap underneath the black rubber "corrugated" air intake pipe then you should be able to see alot of stamping marks & numbers on the turbo housing. On my96 classic the turbo is very clearly marked "TDO5 H" but other than that I don't know whether mines a small 16G, big 16G, 18G or 20G (think its probably a big 16G though).
Hope that help's a little.
i shall have a ganders in the morning when its light again

many thanks