Notices

Ecutek unlocked map MY99

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2009, 07:46 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecutek unlocked map MY99

my mate has a unlocked ecutek map for a MY99 UK turbo, whats the best hardware to flash this to the ECU
Old 19 September 2009, 08:31 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

99 is only mappable with EcuTek..
Old 19 September 2009, 08:39 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
99 is only mappable with EcuTek..
Looks like i'm gonna have to book in with andy f after i get my fmic from Harvey, andy f is only 15 mins from me, I've heard most ecutek tuners are down south
Old 19 September 2009, 08:41 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy will sort it
Old 19 September 2009, 08:47 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

This question doesn't make sense, given the way in which EcuTeK works. What do you mean by your mate having an "unlocked map"? Where, physically, is it? Are you talking about a ROM/BIN file?

If so, the bare ROM files don't contain the licence data, so by definition they're all "unlocked". The licence is injected into the ECU during its first reprogram, and re-read and updated by the software during future flashes.

Do you mean that your mate has got an unencrypted copy of a TeK ECU file? If so, again this doesn't help you as without the hardware and software, you can't flash it. In addition, if it's been obtained via a byte for byte read it'd be a violation of the licence in the first place.

To answer your question re. the hardware, the only commercially available way of flashing the 99-00 cars at the moment is via the EcuTeK system so again your point is largely moot. The hardware is the easy part as it's a basic ISO K-line interface plus a method of activating the flash enable voltage in the microcontroller. Actually putting the ECU into flash mode and sending the data to it is done via software and that is the tricky bit.
Old 20 September 2009, 11:03 AM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin

Do you mean that your mate has got an unencrypted copy of a TeK ECU file? If so, again this doesn't help you as without the hardware and software, you can't flash it. In addition, if it's been obtained via a byte for byte read it'd be a violation of the licence in the first place.
What license? The end user never sees this 'license', never agrees to it's terms, so being able to read the ROM isn't a violation of anything. Hence the reason ECUTek can't do anything about the EVO unlocker or the method that now allows reading of locked Denso ECU's.
Old 20 September 2009, 02:26 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenose172
What license?
The "personalisation data" programmed on each ECU.

The end user never sees this 'license', never agrees to it's terms, so being able to read the ROM isn't a violation of anything.
Agreed - clumsy typing on my part, in part because of the confusing nature of Just's original question. If Just's mate had a rom image that had been downloaded from an existing TeK ECU, flashing that onto another PCB would probably be some notional breach of their licencing terms - but given that you'd need EcuTeK to do it, it wouldn't happen anyway so it's a moot point.