Notices

MY99 PPP decat uprated fuel pump or not

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2009, 08:14 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY99 PPP decat uprated fuel pump or not

My car is a UK MY99 with PPP and has a full decat, i've been told i should upgrade the fuel pump is this essential or just a waste of money
Old 19 September 2009, 08:20 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a waste of money, your problem now is that PPP'd cars dont like being decatted, it can and does cause det as they will boost to 1.3bar (not good) so your option here is either a remap (then your car wont be a ppp'd car) or drill the restrictor plug out by .1 mm (I would suggest fitting something like a KS3 knock sensor to monitor your car now).

Tony
Old 19 September 2009, 08:35 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Its a waste of money, your problem now is that PPP'd cars dont like being decatted, it can and does cause det as they will boost to 1.3bar (not good) so your option here is either a remap (then your car wont be a ppp'd car) or drill the restrictor plug out by .1 mm (I would suggest fitting something like a KS3 knock sensor to monitor your car now).

Tony
Theres no problems with the car mate it runs superb pins you back in the seat and boost upto 1 bar taken advice from andy f and other pro tuner and both said that decating a ppp car will not harm it and anybody who says that it will damage the engine to point of destruction is exact words utter nonesence,

I'm gonna get a GT2 FMIC from Harvey and sell the ppp ecu and have a standard one mapped by andy f but this is a few months away
Old 19 September 2009, 08:46 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by just123
Theres no problems with the car mate it runs superb pins you back in the seat and boost upto 1 bar taken advice from andy f and other pro tuner and both said that decating a ppp car will not harm it and anybody who says that it will damage the engine to point of destruction is exact words utter nonesence,

I'm gonna get a GT2 FMIC from Harvey and sell the ppp ecu and have a standard one mapped by andy f but this is a few months away
Been there, seen it det on optimax fully decatted, so its not utter nonesence, but your going to have to pay for the engine to be rebuilt, not me
Car gained 10bhp though I was also running defi gauges, it did peak at 1.3 bar and the knocklink did quite happily light up.
Oh and these peak at 1.2 bar and drop back to 1bar on the standard map
Bought the car back in 2000 brand new, had mine done back in 2001 (group buy on here ), decatted in 2002, so plenty of experience on these and it was well documented that these det back then, and the map hasnt changed.

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 19 September 2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 19 September 2009, 08:59 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Been there, seen it det on optimax fully decatted, so its not utter nonesence, but your going to have to pay for the engine to be rebuilt, not me
Car gained 10bhp though I was also running defi gauges, it did peak at 1.3 bar and the knocklink did quite happily light up.
Oh and these peak at 1.2 bar and drop back to 1bar on the standard map
Bought the car back in 2000 brand new, had mine done back in 2001 (group buy on here ), decatted in 2002, so plenty of experience on these and it was well documented that these det back then, and the map hasnt changed.

Tony
Why Would i pay to have an engine rebuilt when theres nothing wrong with it 19 stamps in the book all by subaru dealer boost happily upto 1 bar with safe limits on my ks3 which proves beyond any doubt it is utter nonesence and scaremongering
Old 19 September 2009, 09:09 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't say upgrading the fuel pump was a waste of money at all. Wish I had done it on my96 WRX before my old pump died and left me stranded and my mate definately wishes he had done it on his my99 Type RA V limited before it left him stranded in Europe somewhere. I've got a Walbro fuel pump and that was only £79 odd incl delivery for the complete kit from Scoobyparts.com. Fitting was a doddle to
Old 19 September 2009, 09:21 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by just123
Why Would i pay to have an engine rebuilt when theres nothing wrong with it 19 stamps in the book all by subaru dealer boost happily upto 1 bar with safe limits on my ks3 which proves beyond any doubt it is utter nonesence and scaremongering
Please yourself, your engine
As for service history, doesnt matter how well its maintained, if you modify the car from a preset map you will have issues, and god knows why yours is running at 1bar, .9 is standard, ppp is 1.2.

Tony
Old 19 September 2009, 09:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

I would read post 54 if I were you

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...so-poll-2.html

Oh and yes, he does work for Prodrive

Also have a look at this thread
Note the date and I know nothing about these cars or what happens if you mod them
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...y-scoob-2.html
As I have stated, been there, seen it, done it, swung the lamp etc
I will even throw a pic in she had 000007 miles on the clock when I picked her up
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/DSC00211.jpg

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 20 September 2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old 20 September 2009, 12:44 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

I would read post 54 if I were you

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...so-poll-2.html

Oh and yes, he does work for Prodrive

Also have a look at this thread
Note the date and I know nothing about these cars or what happens if you mod them
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...y-scoob-2.html
As I have stated, been there, seen it, done it, swung the lamp etc
I will even throw a pic in she had 000007 miles on the clock when I picked her up
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/DSC00211.jpg

Tony
Look there is no problems with my car runs perfect and my ks3 agrees, soon it will have a fmic from harvey and an ecutek remap by andy f